3. Amsterdam
I prefer private excursions. And, I noticed that off the ship there were cheaper excursions being offered ($200 savings for helicopter ride to the dog sleds). And, I have to say, the dog sled ride that I did in Juneau was less than an "adventure" and more like a meri-go-round, maybe 30 minutes, instead of an hour, as described. In Icey Straits we did the whale watching for 2 hours and saw Sea Lions, Seals, and Otters, and at the end, five female Orcas (so they say) - just their top fins. I would never go whale watching again (too boring and disappointing). It seems that staying on the ship and viewing out the windows had better whale sightings for other passengers!!! He had Rob Watkins, the vantriloquist and he was SUPERB!!! Also had Carl Strong, the comedian and he was very funny. I wish he did more comedy though!!!

Interesting stops but excursions from ship are over priced & disappointing

Amsterdam Cruise Review by Carol Bulas

• Sail Date: June 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)

He had Rob Watkins, the vantriloquist and he was SUPERB!!!

Carol Bulas’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Amsterdam price drops

Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)
Cabin HH 3422
I had a view of the walkway on the 3rd floor. If I opened up the curtain on the left side and looked to the right, at an angle, I could see a cut out in the ship that gave me a view of the water with people usually standing there watching the view.

I enjoyed that the room was away from others (back of the ship) but during the day there was a weird slurping noise (very loud) that they claimed was "maintenance". I couldn't take a nap until they stopped it (which they always quickly did, if I called to complain).

There were only 2 nights that were really rough. I waited too long to take a sleeping aid the first night, but the 2nd night, I took it by 8 pm and slept through it.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins