3. Royal Princess
There was a real disconnect between what actually happened onboard and the "Cruise Personalizer" website function, which got our trip off to a bad start. First, I had indicated that we wanted bathrobes in the Cruise Personalizer. A note in the room said that we needed to request them from the room steward. A note in the room also confirmed my dinner seating at 6 pm; however, I had a confirmed reservation for 5:30 pm on my paperwork. The problem was, of course, that there was no such thing as a 5:30 pm seating in any restaurant onboard the Royal Princess. Why wouldn't Princess know this? Finally, there were no hand towels in the bathroom, only bath towels and washcloths. These had to be specifically requested. It would seem to me that if you want to encourage good hygiene that hand towels should be provided as a matter of course. The ship itself was tasteful and not gaudy or ostentatious. There were some disgruntled crew members, but then again, I don't judge a cruise by how many people smile and say hello to me as I pass by them. The best thing I can say about Princess is that they have a guest laundry. The two washers and dryers on my deck were greatly appreciated by me and many Australians. Breakfast choice in the MDR is extremely limited; please, Princess, where are the pancakes? The french toast and waffles? Please don't tell me to go to the buffet; there wasn't much more choice there either. Dinner in the MDR was ok, but desserts were sorely lacking. I shouldn't be able to find better desserts by leaving the MDR and going to the buffet afterward. The buffet itself (Horizon Court) was haphazardly arranged; for example, why weren't all the salad fixins' together in one place? Cabin layout was great; I really liked the separate closet area. We don't cruise for the entertainment, so we didn't go to any of the shows. We did go to trivia and won (a pen. Seriously, Princess?) Over the years, I've taken exactly one cruise on each of Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, Holland America, and most recently, Princess. Carnival: Never again. A fistfight broke out in front of me. Celebrity: Best food and the only line with an enrichment speaker, but this was 5 years ago and they probably have cut this or else charge for it. Also, Celebrity's two class system is very in-your-face; if you're not Aqua Class, you might as well be travelling steerage. Norwegian: Worst food, but nice mix of fellow passengers--perhaps because of the more relaxed "Anytime Cruising"? Holland America: Stodgy, pretentious, dull, (even my 84 year old mother won't take another HAL cruise; it was too boring even for her). Excellent afternoon tea at no additional charge, however. Princess: Still wracking my brain trying to figure out its distinguishing characteristic. Nice library. Royal afternoon tea for additional $$. Only one arts and crafts activity, but in general, more activities than HAL. People were more formally dressed on the formal nights. And yet, the laundry rooms. I just might take another Princess cruise just because of the laundry rooms, so please, Princess, they're a keeper.

Breakfast and dessert need more choices; otherwise unremarkable

Royal Princess Cruise Review by Mickirish

Mickirish’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin ID B724
Nice inside cabin with cabins above, below, and on either side. Only noise was from people who feel they must slam their cabin door. Great closet area. Felt more spacious than other lines' inside cabins.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins