3. Carnival Destiny
I scheduled a cruise on Carnival Cruise Lines web site on June 14, 2009 for a 5 day Western Carribean cruise to Ocho Rios Jamacia and the Grand Cayman Islands. This was my first cruise and I did research all cruise lines before I decided on Carnival Destiny as the ports of call that was offered was where I wanted to go. My best friend went with me as this was also her first cruise. I paid a $400.00 deposit upfront when it was booked on June 14, 2009 and the remaining amount within 1 month of booking. The cabin # was 6373 on level 6A and the cabin had a wrap around balcony which we paid a premium for the balcony. The cruise was out of Port Miami on September 12, 2009 and returning September 17, 2009. Airfare was booked separately and not included with the cruise booking. Upon arrival at Port Miami on September 12th at 10:30AM via a shuttle booked with Carnival, all passengers were handed a letter on Carnival letterhead that stated that due to a technical problem with the ship's propulsion system and that it was slightly delayed returning to Miami from the previous cruise and docked at 9:50AM. At the end of the letter it stated due to the reduced cruising speed they were changing the itinerary and replaced the scheduled calls in Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios with visits to Key West, Nassau and Freeport. The only offering stated to the passengers in this letter was a 20% discount on a future cruise with Carnival. With all plans that I had made and paid for upfront including flight from Columbus to Miami, I feel that Carnival should have offered to it's passengers a credit due to the change of itinerary from the original scheduled itinerary that was paid upfront. I had already traveled to Key West (lived in Florida), Nassau (in December 2008 not as a cruise) and Freeport (1986) before and had no desire to travel to these places again. Once on board, Carnival did not even attempt to offer to the passengers any drink coupons or offered any other special discounts, etc. for the inconvenience to their sailing passengers. The captain of the ship didn't even show up at the meet and greet and no one ever saw the captain during the entire cruise. I also experienced very poor customer service. The wait staff in the main dining room provided excellent service however I did not find the same type of service in the other dining areas of the ship, pool area or the cabin service. Food in the main dining room was OK however the food in the buffet was somewhat edible. There were many problems in the cabin that we booked. There were non working items in the cabin - phone (could not call housekeeping or schedule wake up calls, etc), blow dryer, remote control not to mention on 2 occasions that the bathroom floor of the cabin had flooded due to water leakage from the toilet. Since we were not able to use the non working phone I had to track down any housekeeping personnel I could find to assist with the water and clean up. Of course there are no English speaking people in housekeeping so it was difficult to explain what was needed. Waited for over an hour before any maintenance person came and by that time the leakage had stopped and the water did drain leaving a wet floor. I asked him to send someone to clean and sanitize the floor and again another hour wait which no one showed up. I had to finally take towels to mop up the floor in order to use the bathroom. Again I had to hunt down housekeeping to sanitize the bathroom floor. Went through the same situation as above when the floor flooded again. The last straw was early morning on the final full day at sea when we received a notice that we would not be able to use the balcony from 10:00AM to 1:00PM as they were going to conduct "general cleaning." Again another inconvenience to the passengers who paid extra for any cabins with balconies. Carnival could have and should have cleaned the balconies early the next day when the ship returned to Port Miami. To do this in the middle of sailing was not acceptable or respectful of their passengers. I have to say that the balcony was my only relaxation during this nightmare of a cruise and I used the balcony every day for long periods of time to read, relax and enjoy the water when we were sailing. I am sorry to say, but because of this cruise on Carnival Destiny, I will look elsewhere if I should decide to take a cruise again and would not recommend Carnival nor schedule another cruise with Carnival Cruise Lines. I felt very disrespected by Carnival and they did not take any measures to accommodate their passengers for inconveniencing them.

Destination on Destiny not what I paid for