Norwegian Gem Cruise Review
2,530 Reviews

Nice for a smaller ship but a couple of issues

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by mikemouser

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Let me start by saying the theater shows and second city were absolutely great. They were lively and the singers and dancers were fantastic, The was our second NCL cruise. We went on the Breakaway a couple years ago. We liked the food on this ship a lot more than the Breakaway. We ate in the free dining rooms and had good food. One night the food was extremely slow coming out but other nights it was fine. We also ate late night at O'Sheehans, and at the Asian Garden restaurant. All decent. Loved the lunchtime barbecues by the pool.

We were in a mini suite on the 11th floor. Nothing wrong with the cabin.

One of the jeweler staff was so nice to us, even bought us a drink in Portland. We had an 11th floor mini suite and this was very comfortable.

We did Deal or No Deal twice and had a good time. Mark the cruise director was great but some of the other staff were downright obnoxious. The first day of bingo totally turned us off for the entire trip. One of the bingo callers, took forever calling the cover up game. As the players got more and more frustrated and angry, he got more obnoxious and slower. He should not be on a cruise ship. We are Disney fans but don't go on Disney cruises because there is no casino. OMG, the casino was the worst I've ever seen or played in. First of all, I was in there all but one day, and got no perks. All they cared about was taking your money. The Chines female dealers besides one did not ever talk. Most casinos on ships want you to feel like your having fun as you loose your money....these guys just wanted to take your money. Even when I spoke to floor people, there was almost no reply. By the way, did I say it was the worst run anywhere I've seen?

The piano man and guitar player were OK. The main problem was there jokes got old very fast and they repeated the same thing every show, every day. The piano man was more entertain and flexible. The guitar player was a better singer...but not flexible, a little obnoxious. Nothing compares to the dueling piano bar on the Breakaway.

I have to say overall service was very good. A couple of small exceptions. We didn't do any excursions but we did take a behind the scenes tour of the ship. It was worth the $79 cost. They gave us a free picture and portfolio to remember it.

So food good, major entertainment, great! smaller entertainment fair. Casino and Bingo beyond horrible. I probably won't sail Norwegian again because of this,

mikemouser's Full Rating Summary