3. Carnival Sunshine
WOW! We had the most fun, amazing and relaxing vacation!! Thank you, Carnival Sunshine!!! We are a family of four. I have two boys age 10 and 5. My husband and I are mid-30s. We have sailed with Royal Caribbean and Carnival. This was my 5th cruise. I absolutely love cruising from nearby ports (NY, NJ, and MD) because it saves on airfare and we love going to Eastern and Southern Caribbean. This cruise sailed to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk from Manhattan, NY. I was apprehensive about the NY traffic on a Tuesday morning, but everything worked out perfectly (with a little patience from the tunnel to the port). We didn't do much waiting except for when "priority boarders" were able to cut in front of us. I think it would have been even faster if they didn't offer it, but whatever. We kept our money and were on the ship in no time at all. We stayed on the lido deck which was PERFECT!!!!! Absolutely in love with our inside room #9209. This room was literally 3 doors down from everything that mattered most to us. it was not too noisy. There was a late night party on the deck you can hear (only lasted an hour) and was not loud enough to wake our kids, so no big deal. Mary, our steward, was wonderful. Kept us tidy and was friendly. After the muster station drill, my 10 year old got separated from us. That was so scary. I searched everywhere for him and was panicked. The crew was trying to dance and party all around me to get everyone pumped and I just could not enjoy. One came up to me and I told them my son was lost. They weren't really helpful about it but oh well. I just didn't know what to do. I tried to have him paged and that didn't work. Eventually he returned to our room where I had my husband wait for him and the disaster was over. Definitely be careful after the large group gathering like that. So many people push their way through the crowd and kids get lost. My kids are fish. As soon as we were on the ship, we changed into our suits and were at the pool. We also tried the tacos and Guy's burgers right away. The tacos were the best thing on the ship! LOVE THEM!! I miss the taco man the most. He fist bumps everyone before he takes their order. They are made fresh to order with so many delicious condiments. If you love tacos, this is your ship!! The breakfast burritos are EVERYTHING!! My favorite thing for breakfast except for the Dr. Seuss Breakfast. Next, we had to try the waterslides. We spent most of our days at the waterpark. There was always a seat right next to the baby waterslide where my 5 year old constantly slid down so I could relax and keep a close eye on him. BE CAREFUL! THE DECK IS SUPER HOT. Make sure you and your kids wear flip flops or water shoes. So important. My favorite slide was the yellow twister slide. Nice and mellow for me. I think Blue was the fastest. Not a fan because the water shot up my nose at the end. LOL. My entire family loved the slides and there was only a long line the second at sea day for whatever reason. There was always someone walking around taking drink orders which was so helpful. I never had to leave the waterpark! We spent a good amount of time on the sports deck as well. Luckily there was some shade in some areas up there. The kids loved to play golf, shuffle board, chess, bean bag toss, foosball, basketball, checkers and ping pong. Right below the deck and outside the camp carnival was a little playground that our 5 year old adored! Camp was so much fun for our little guy. He went there when we did boring adult stuff. It wasn't to get rid of him, it was to make sure he was having fun and not acting up when faced with boredom. So grateful they offer this option for the kids. My 10 year old was not a fan. Tried camp a few times and just wasn't for him. When he was at camp, he met a magician which was awesome. There were some workshops for everyone to learn to do card tricks. I can now impress my friends and family. So awesome! We saw Motor City show with our 10 year old. I thought it was a nice show. Not the best I have ever seen but I was entertained. We also went to Hasboro's game show. We weren't picked to play but it was fun to watch. My husband and I went to the late night R rated comedy show. It was okay. The comedian did make me laugh but there weren't any seats and the people standing trying to view the show may have been in the way of others and fights broke out. The waitress put a stop to a heated argument between a young man and an older man with a cane. The older gentleman was standing. Instead of offering a seat to him, the young man cursed him out and was pretty aggressive towards him which was quite distracting and sad to say the least. The host of the show said they are going to remodel the room to include more seating next year! This is in the limelight lounge. Karaoke was the best! The singers were fun. Not the best singers but so entertaining. That is what it is all about! We had my time dining. No issues with a line at all. We were always seated quickly and had the same waiter and section each night. Service was great. If we waited, I didn't mind. They were so busy and I enjoyed the family time at our table. It is nice to relax. I would never do the buffet. That food looked nasty. Not for me. I want quality and I had that mostly in the dining room. The best breakfast was Dr. Seuss Breakfast for sure! It was worth the extra total of $20. The waffles were the best thing I had all week. They were DELICIOUS!!! My husband had fruit loop crusted French toast that was also amazing. The Dr. Seuss stuff offered was really nice for the kids. We missed being in the parade but we participated in the story time. I was the angry fish for the "Cat and the Hat" reading. The Cat tickled my son and was playful when taking their photos at breakfast. It was all just so fun. The arcade was awesome too! They have a four player pac-man style air hockey table that we all played together twice. My son did hate walking through the casino because the smoke made him sick. That was to be expected and I understand. We had to walk through to get to dinner. The taste bar was awesome. I got to try things and they were delicious. I loved the pepper pot so much that when I saw it on the menu, I made sure to order it. The milkshakes next to the taste bar was good. I only had the black and white. Classic good flavor. We didn't like the Caramel Chocolate one my son tried. The caramel flavor wasn't good I guess. In Puerto Rico, we visited a Fort, went to Burger King (5 year old ugh) and Senior Frogs. We had a good time at this port. We watched an artist create beautiful paintings with spray paint. St Thomas was beautiful. We got right off the ship and shared a cab. It was $8 a person to go to Megan's Bay. Then $5 per adult to enter the beach. There weren't any chairs when we got there. They had picnic benches we sat our stuff on and swam and relaxed. The water was perfect. I taught my son to snorkel there. He is hooked! Saw so many fish and a coral reef. The snorkel gear was $30. You get $20 back after you return the equipment. There was a grill and bar on the beach too and bathroom facilities. Everything you need for a good day. Cabs were onsite to take you back for another $8 per person. We had a lovely day. Grand Turk was cut so short. We only had 4 hours at this port which was disappointing because it was our first time at this one. It was amazing. Beach and Pool immediately entering the port. Everything was free to do. We went right to Margaritaville and got drinks and hopped right into the pool. The kids loved it and so did we. They really entertain the guests there just like the boatyard in Barbados (which is our other favorite port). Definitely want to return to Grand Turk. Getting back on was crazy. No one was in a hurry to return since we were only stopped for 4 hours. Family portraits were taken on this ship all week. We picked the best four at the end of the trip. It was so hard to decide. They were so lovely. I am very pleased with our portraits. We didn't do the drink package. Most of my drinks were Frozen Raspberry Margaritas. They were so good. Highly recommend. All in all, we didn't spend too much extra cash on this ship. We gambled, we had milkshakes, we bought pictures, 7 t-shirts, various drinks, jewelry and arcade and only spent $250 (after our $100 on board credit). We impressed ourselves LOL. I know the ship has its complications. Areas being small is one of them. I get it. Beauty and the Beast was one of the movies on deck. There weren't any seats for everyone to view, but that was the only time I didn't see available seats for everyone for a movie. It was certainly popular. We also saw the Boss Baby, Lego Batman, and Moana. So many fun newer movies for us to enjoy. I loved it! We had blankets and popcorn and just chilled on the deck at night. Leaving the ship took longer than expected. We drove to the port and were in no rush. We didn't get off until about 1045-11am. I chilled on the lido deck in a lounge chair waiting to be called. It was awesome. Why wait in a crowded area? You will get off when they are ready. Try to soak in the rays the last day, you will love it. The kids played on deck 10 and at the playground while waiting. It was the perfect thing for them to do to not be bored. I got to relax and they got to play. Win-Win! I highly recommend the Sunshine. It was probably my favorite ship for families. I know some areas are small, but it was still fun for us. I didn't let that bother me and wanted my husband to stop comparing her to other ships, because she was special. The waterpark, Dr. Seuss, Sports Deck, and Taco Bar are forever in our hearts! I would love to sail on her again.

Please don't take my Sunshine away!!

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by gallagce

gallagce’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 7 to 9
Ages 10 to 12
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Interior
Cabin 4E 9209
Best location! close to the fun!! It was nice to be able to go back to the room quickly and easily when we forgot something or needed to grab something. Our room was literally three doors down from the pool entrance. I didn't feel like it was too noisy. Even when there was a party on the deck, the noise did not wake my kids.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins