3. Mariner of the Seas
I'll treat cruising as I do going to the beach. If I can't afford oceanfront, I'll go half as often. After speaking with other cruisers on Regent Seven Seas, if I can't go first class, I will go less often.

We flew to Anchorage, stayed overnight and transferred to Seward via 2 1/2hr motorcoach driven by an hysterical historian. What a trip. On the way we passed a hamlet called Moose Pass. The driver told of the town father's fighting the establishment of a filling station in town because they didn't want a sign in town that said: "Moose Pass Gas"..

It got better from there where Regent had everything well organized including the weather which shone on us every day after three weeks of clouds and rain. What luck!! Our first top was the Hubbard Glacier and the Capt. stopped the ship and turned it around and around so all could see this magnificent site. And a huge chunk calved off right on cue.

Next was Sitka, the capital of Russian America in the 1850's. Quaint little town and fun to walk around. Skagway next with the steam train up to Canada. All the while, the service on the ship, mostly Filipino couldn't be more accomodating and the food, outstanding. Our stateroom was 360 feet w/ walkin closet, dressing table, and private deck. Wow.

Juneau was interesting because we took the helicopter to the glaciers, but I'm tiring of all the tourist traps at the dock and several streets in. Seems the state capital could be a little more dignified. Ketchikan was last and the seaplanes taking off in the harbor were like Grand Central Station.

The food on and off the ship couldn't have been better. Being a fish lover, the fresh salmon, halibut and king crab, to die for, were GREAT.

Disembarking in Vancouver was a breeze. Regent and customs down cold, signs directing us every step of the way, through US customs and on the plane in a flash. Very well organized.

Can't wait to go again and on Regent.

Starting at the Top

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by hjames2

• Sail Date: September 2009
  • Destination: Alaska

Can't wait to go again and on Regent.

hjames2’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

914 was near the elevator, so no hallway noise and very convenient. 360 ft, plenty of room. the internet was slow
  Mariner of the Seas Deck Plans