• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

hjames2
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2009
Cabin:

I'll treat cruising as I do going to the beach. If I can't afford oceanfront, I'll go half as often. After speaking with other cruisers on Regent Seven Seas, if I can't go first class, I will go less often.

We flew to Anchorage, stayed overnight and transferred to Seward via 2 1/2hr motorcoach driven by an hysterical historian. What a trip. On the way we passed a hamlet called Moose Pass. The driver told of the town father's fighting the establishment of a filling station in town because they didn't want a sign in town that said: "Moose Pass Gas"..

It got better from there where Regent had everything well organized including the weather which shone on us every day after three weeks of clouds and rain. What luck!! Our first top was the Hubbard Glacier and the Capt. stopped the ship and turned it around and around so all could see this magnificent site. And a huge chunk calved off right on cue.

Cabin c

914 was near the elevator, so no hallway noise and very convenient. 360 ft, plenty of room. the internet was slow

Port Reviews

Vancouver

Port is in downtown. Clean, well-kept, roads could be improved. The winter olympics this coming Feb could be a challenge. See above

Juneau

See above, expected more of the capital of Alaska. Should have taken a cab away from the docks to see more of the real city. Maybe next time.

Skagway

Small town of 800 where ship docks next to the train up the mtn. Quite a place where the Yukon gold diggers started their 500 mile journet. Quaint.

Sitka

Lots of history with the Russian influence.

3 Helpful Votes