3. Oosterdam
Love HAL, it is my favorite cruise line! This is my third or fourth time on this particular ship and have nothing bad to say about it except the crappy room location we got on a VA guarantee cabin. The french fries at the Dive In are the best on land or water. I went with a friend on this cruise but she doesn't like to eat with people so I ate in the dining room alone. I met lots of great people and the food was good for the most part. I ate at the Pinnacle Grill for lunch once and that was delicious. Always had time to stop at the ice cream "parlor" for an afternoon ice cream. The movies on demand in the room are plentiful and varied so you can always find something to your liking. This was my third Mediterranean cruise and the first time going to a lot of ports west of Italy and that was interesting. I booked this cruise late in the year because the last time I went in August it was 100 degrees every day (all 24 days either in Italy or east of Italy) and that was no fun. This time the second 12 days of the cruise were west of Italy and they were sometimes cold and rainy so it didn't much feel like vacation but hey, you can't tell mother nature what she should do.

This cruise was awesome!

felinefinex2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VA 4054
I booked the most expensive veranda category, a VA, and I booked it as a guaranteed cabin because I thought "there can't be a bad cabin in this category, right?" Wrong. I went to the front desk twice asking if someone could explain to me why this particular room was in this category and they kept telling me the ship was full I couldn't switch rooms, but I wasn't asking for that, I was asking for an explanation and I never got one :-( To me this was an obstructed view, lowest-rated cabin. There was a lifeboat to the immediate left of the balcony cutting off the view that way and the balcony to the right angled out so it cut off the view to the right, and the actual balcony was not a see-through material, it was metal so you had to be above it to see out of it. Never used the balcony once on a 24 day sailing :-( We might as well have booked an interior or oceanview cabin and saved a lot of money. I was disappointed that no one would even talk to me about this experience. So I am writing this review in the hopes that no one else wastes their money thinking that this cabin is truly a VA cabin, because it is not that at all :-(
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins