3. Carnival Miracle
This was a seven-day cruise roundtrip from Long Beach, California with visits to Puerto Villarta and Cabo San Lucas. Hubby and I are experienced cruisers (close to 50 cruises). Until this cruise, we thought that there could never be a bad cruise. We stand corrected! From beginning to the end, this was a subpar experience. Embarkation We arrived early so we could relax in the lounge and have a cup of coffee prior to embarkation. When Carnival first moved to the Long Beach from San Pedro, there was a separate check-in lounge inside the terminal for suite, minisuite and priority passengers. The lounge then resembled the airy lobby of an upscale hotel, furnished with comfortable and attractive sofas and chairs. There was coffee, juice, sodas, water, and a large variety of snacks. Now, the lounge is located outside the terminal, resembles a stuffy Quonset hut and is furnished with uncomfortable, straight backed chairs crowded into every available space. There is no coffee, water or snacks. When I inquired why, the attendant told me that they couldn’t solve the “ant” problem. We walked over to the Queen Mary, paid the $10 admission so we could have breakfast inside. Our other option was a food truck located by the parking garage. The Cabin Since this was a short cruise, we opted for an unobstructed view balcony on Deck Four. Usually, everything is spic and span. The balcony furniture had been wiped down, but was not quite clean. The glass was so smudged that it detracted from the balcony view. The last time I saw so much rust on a balcony was thirty years ago on a P&O cruise ship that was decommissioned after that cruise. It was day four or five when the workers washed down and cleaned the balcony thoroughly. The Food What food? Gone was the “eat at the buffet almost anytime.” It was more like “when is the buffet open?” That is unless we wanted pizza or a deli sandwich. Not something I wanted every day. When the small buffet was open, the variety was not there. Same food every day. The room service menu was another shock. The things that used to be free, like chicken wings and French fries now came with a surcharge. Sort of puts a bad taste in your mouth. Pun intended. The restaurant dining has always been our favorite until this cruise. The food and service has always been very, very good if not excellent. This cruise, not so much. On the whole, the hot food was just warm and slightly overcooked. On the first formal night, I chose the lobster tail and shrimp. Without asking if I wanted it, another lobster tail was put on my plate. Rather than have it go to waste, I asked for a container so I could put it and the remainder of my meal in the cabin refrigerator. For the first time on any cruise, including several other Carnival cruises we were told no; it was not allowed. It got worse later in the week when I was ill. Nothing contagious, but I didn’t feel like getting dressed for dinner. My husband went to the dining room to get something for me to eat. The maitre’d told him that it was not allowed even though I had done the exact thing when my husband had the flu on another Carnival cruise. The maitre’d then told my husband that he had to “call his supervisor” for permission. I finally got something to eat, but not without my husband becoming very insistent. One positive memory was the officer (the head of bar services from Florida). He absolutely loved his job and we could tell. He cared the passengers and was very cordial to us and polite to his employees. It was refreshing. Disembarkation This was the best part of the cruise. Unfortunately, after talking to some of my fellow passengers, it seems that our experience on this cruise is becoming more the norm on Carnival line ships in the corporation’s attempt steer passengers to its more costly lines: Princess, Costa, Seabourn, Holland America, Cunard an

Carnival Miracle – Don’t Waste Your Money

Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by defoorj

The Cabin

The Food

Disembarkation

defoorj’s Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin 8D 4168
A little worn on the inside. Balcony very rusty and glass was smudged obscuring the view.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins