3. Marella Discovery 2
I've been on all the present fleet apart from Discovery 1 which is of course the sister ship of Discovery 2, the ship is easy to get around with plenty of lifts all quite spacious. Travelling on my own for the first time as a senior widowed male I found everyone quite friendly and although I never ventured into the main restaurants I found the Island Restaurant quite acceptable for my needs and the food was always of a good standard and variety. My Cabin on deck 3 was the best single cabin I have had as a solo traveller over the last 7 or 8 years ( previous cruises always had companions on-board) quite spacious and loads of drawers and hanging space, only gripe was the extraction in the shower room was very weak and did not clear the steam away from showering, I complained about this and although the maintenance engineer came he could not improve the situation, so found myself stepping out into the cabin to dry off, easy if your on your own!! The show lounge was very comfortable and the singers and dancers were of the usual high standard you expect from Thomson, the rest of the entertainment team were all very acceptable but I thought the solo saxophonist played for himself accompanied by backing tracks and it was unbearable, I never heard him play any melodic numbers at all, it was all Jaz stuff which the majority of patrons don't understand, he never spoke and I never heard anyone applaud him. The pool area was very good and spacious with plenty of sunbeds and chairs in the shaded areas below the top deck, the large screen display meant you could see any demonstrations easily from wherever you were without crowding around the stage to see what was going on. The Surf & Turf and Kora La dining as well as the Main restaurants I never used, being on my own, but I spoke to many cruisers who all recommended them. The all inclusive drinks package was very good and there was free ice cream available, The introduction of the Snack Shack was a novel and well used feature, the free cabin safe also saved me £25 but the single supplement is as always a sore point for me, why I have to pay £65 a night extra when i only eat for one drink for one use hot water and bedding for one I will never understand, the Greed of Thomson / Tui I suppose, I feel as if I am paying for my wife who sadly I have no longer by my side.

Been on most Thomson Ships this the Best by Far