Ventura Cruise Review

P & O Cruises does it again!

Ventura Cruise Review by DazzaO

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Inside Twin with Shower

We chose this cruise as we went on a 7 day cruise for the first time last August on P & O's Britannia and we decided there and then that we would do the Mediterranean this year and as we had such excellent treatment with P & O Cruises, we would use them again.

Our cruise had seven ports of call and seven sea days and every part of it was wonderful, from the crew, waiters and waitresses, entertainers, chefs, cabin steward and shore excursions, the whole deal was perfect!

On our arrival back at Southampton, I said that I could gladly do the same cruise again as each of the ports of call, you could visit and see something totally new the next time. It was our first visit to Italy and our excursions to Rome, Sorrento and Pompeii were stunning.

Our cabin steward, Ramesh was such a happy, cheerful guy, always greeting us every morning, before starting his long day. Then again in the evening Ramesh would wish us an enjoyable evening on our way to dine at the restaurant, it was a pleasure to have him looking after us throughout the cruise.

Having now done two cruises with P & O I can honestly say that the entertainment on board their fleet is second to none and the Headliners dancers, singers and musicians are extremely talented and so pleasant. The entertainments team work so hard doubling up with various tasks throughout the cruise and are helpful, polite and fun loving. From comedians, shows, speakers, illusionists, singers, etc. our entire cruise was non-stop entertainment, and it didn't cost us a penny!

We dined in the Bay Tree restaurant each evening and our waiters, Rally and Mario were so much fun and so hard-working - they never stopped. Our wine waiter Johnathan was also a hard-worker, I regularly saw him working the various parts of the ship during the day, our restaurant at night and in the clubs after the restaurants had closed.

The Ventura is a family friendly ship and there were young families on board, yet it didn't impact on anyone's enjoyment, well not on ours anyway, in fact there is nothing better than the sound of youngsters enjoying themselves.

DazzaO's Full Rating Summary

Inside Twin with Shower
Cabin OA D511

It was actually an Inside Queen bed with Shower (PA), which was very comfortable and the bed was wonderful, we both had great night's sleep due to it's comfort.

As we expected the shower and toilet was a bit on the small side, but pefectly adequate for what we needed, due to the amount of time you actually spend in your cabin.

Ramesh, our cabin steward always kept it immaculate and there was plenty of room for my wife's dresses and my suits, however, my trousers did stay in my suitcase and I got them as and when I needed them. The Ventura's inside cabin was smaller than the inside cabin we had on board the Britannia, but it wasn't a problem.

Southampton

Embarkation was so fast and that was despite having a glitch with the computer systems. It's so easy!

Porto (Leixoes)

There was a free shuttle bus from the port and it was great because it took you right into the city centre. As soon as we got our bearings we went off exploring and then after purchasing a bottle of port we headed back for the ship.

Barcelona

What a beautiful city with stunning buildings. Just be aware of the crowds and pickpockets, but otherwise a brilliant visit. Plenty to see and do.

Monaco Walking Tour

We spent the morning exploring the beautiful port of Villefranche-sur-mer before taking an excursion along the Riviera to Monaco. After a quick explanation of the surrounding area from the tour guide, we headed off to explore the Palace and across to Monte Carlo to look at the casino and cars and of course what was left of the recent Grand Prix (as it was still being dismantled).

Truly great day out, so glad we done what we did.

View All 15 Monaco Walking Tour Reviews
City Tour

Our tour guide was so informative and had such a great knowledge of the fantastic history of the city, we couldn't fail to be impressed. We done a lot of walking during the day long excursion, in a great deal of heat, but it was truly worth every single moment of it. Rome has been a city I have wanted to visit for many years and I was dissapointed.

View All 349 City Tour Reviews

View All 84 Trevi Fountain Reviews
Vatican Museums

View All 140 Vatican Museums Reviews
Pompeii Walking Tour

We enjoyed an afternoon in Pompeii, with our tour guide taking us to see some of the most significant sights in the time we had available. It was very informative and we were able to get a feel for how life would have been in Pompeii all those years ago.

View All 505 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
Sorrento

What a beautiful place! Our daughter and Son-in-Law love the place and now we know why, absolutely breathtaking.

We spent the morning exploring on our own before meeting up with the guide to go for a first class authentic Italian meal in a lovely restaurant. Well done P & O Cruises, a first class tour.

View All 165 Sorrento Reviews
Cartagena (Spain)

What a hidden delight. We absolutely loved this place, nice shops, brilliant naval museum and so clean and tidy. We will definately come back here.

Great Siege Tunnels

Again we visited these 15 years ago and they were still how we remembered them.

View All 24 Great Siege Tunnels Reviews
Rock of Gibraltar

We were the very first party up to the rock by cable car, so we had a lovely peaceful time at the top before the crowds. Then as we began our walk down towards the caves, it was so quiet, even the guide commented that he had never known it so peaceful and enjoyable.

View All 103 Rock of Gibraltar Reviews
St. Michael's Cave

We went to Gibraltar some 15 years ago and wow had those caves altered from our last visit - really impressive.

View All 33 St. Michael's Cave Reviews