3. Norwegian Jewel
This was my first cruise. My sister chose the cruise because she gets seriously discounted cruises with Norwegian. As a result, I didn't have much say in the cruise line. We upgraded to a balcony cabin through a "bid" process. The stateroom was nice - a balcony room is a must, especially on an Alaska cruise. I enjoyed most aspects of the cruise but a couple of factors seriously reduced my enjoyment. 1) The food - there are a few restaurants that you can eat at with no extra charge plus a cafeteria. This food is, almost without exception, mediocre. Except for the cafeteria, the service is very slow. But they do have several restaurants that have an "upcharge" that serve very good food at expensive prices. So if you think your cruise will include all of your dining costs, that's only true if you don't care much about having tasty food. 2) There was a lot of "hard sell" on photos, gambling, you name it. I got an expensive massage and after was pushed to buy $400 worth of skin care products and hundreds more on orthotics. It was obnoxious. The beauty of Alaska was stunning, so the destination was not the problem. We arranged our shore excursion separate from the cruise to save money and were very satisfied with their value.

Beautiful scenery; Mediocre food

Ages 10 to 12
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 9144
Everything was solidly built with quite a bit of storage. The queen size (two beds together) was fairly comfortable. The extra bunk was pulled down from the ceiling each evening and replaced daily by the steward. It was comfortable for our daughter. There was a small couch below the bunk that could've been made into a bed as well but that would've been very tight. With the bunk down, we had to duck to sit on the couch or go out on the balcony but it was doable. The bathroom had a shower stall and a shower that was adequate. When the steward made up our room, we got the cool towel animals. Our daughter loved that.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins