3. Celebrity Eclipse
I chose this cruise because of the 3 days in France, I could hire a car and drive up to Dieppe from Le Havre. The coastal road drive was lovely and we had beautiful sunny weather and finished the day with a drive over the bridge to Honfleur. Alas our day in Cherbourg wasn't as kind weatherwise and Celebrity took the decision to miss out St Peter Port because of rough seas and poor forecast. So we arrived in Cherbourg a day early and as this Monday was a Holiday day - mostly the shops etc were closed. Some folk returned to the ship complaining about this but it didn't bother us as I knew we would at least find a cafe. We did however lose out private tour to Mont St Michel. We did miss the museum though right by the dock which friend on the ship told us was marvellous; a must for next time. I got ahead of myself so should start at ...... embarkation went as smoothly as usual. The care taken of disabled people at Southampton port cannot be faulted and all credit and grateful thanks to the small army of men who collect you in a chair and whisk you though security (very thorough - thankfully) then through registration etc and then onto the ship where after receiving the flute of sparkly stuff it was off to Cafe al Bacio. After a delicious alcoholic coffee (I had a few of those as I had upgraded to the premium package) we got to our room just after 1pm. It was 2 doors away from last year's room so I knew it suited us well. Room 8191, balcony room with bed by the window. I think our cases were there in the fastest time ever and we had the room organised and clothes unpacked well before Muster drill. Muster drill wasn't quite as smooth as usual - we watched a video which was ok though I didn't see the need for screen after screen in other languages - it could all have been printed on one screen and then some time was spent whilst the staff located a lifejacket to give a physical demo. Anyway it was eventually over and we made our way to the Sunset Bar for the sail away from Southampton. Alas it was a touch cool and windy and quite a few people missed it. I was disappointed to miss a few of the folk who had been posting on the roll call, some had been on other cruises with me and I never managed to see them. I even wonder if "KevininYork" even exists! We had Select dining and it ran extremely smoothly. We never had to wait, due mainly I feel to the kindness of the young lady on the wait desk who knowing I have such mobility issues saw us seated extremely promptly. The waiting staff in the restaurant are really professional whilst being friendly and helpful. All are extremely good at their jobs and make the dining experience just great. We usually had a table for two but when we wished to dine with friends that was quickly organised too. We had some extremely good meals too starting that first evening with prime rib - just delicious. Alas I only managed the creme brulée once during this cruise - I couldn't keep up with the food! If I had breakfast I found we could bypass lunch and if I ate light breakfast then lunch I could not do dinner justice. There were folk who would add a salad course to the evening dinner and that was fine plus adding little extras to the dessert course and the staff would cheerfully supply it, The Sommeliers kept the wine coming replenishing glasses even before necessary! The Oceanview had the usual plenty of choice. Most days I had a delicious mushroom omelette with some French baguette. I also ate breakfast in the Aqua Spa cafe which is an underused and overlooked, very nice venue. The staff keep the Oceanview clear of used dishes very efficiently and on many occasions the staff helped me with my choices to my table. It is lovely to see that the Celebrity staff maintain their excellent record of customer service and friendliness. So full marks to Celebrity on the catering front. The bars..... well I remember the Martini bar being a little more lively on previous cruises but the service was good and drinks...delicious. With only 2 sea days on this cruise we didn't get to engage too much with onboard activities. Our room was great - we never heard any kind of noise and were right by the elevators. Our room steward was lovely, Bagus, and he kept the room well for us and was unobtrusive. He was also very understanding when after I had managed to spill nearly an entire cup of coffee all over the bed, he had to change the whole bedding ! I felt really guilty about that. I love the Celebrity cabins with the lovely large beds and great shower cubicles and bathrooms. We only went to a couple of shows. We watched Mike Doyle and Steve Womack, both very good at what they do. The vast majority of the audiences enjoyed their acts. The shows were of course introduced by the excellent CD Sue Denning. Her energy rate shows no sign of flagging and again she is a huge influence and personna around the ship. Quite how she remembers previous cruise members I do not know but all credit to her professionalism. I chose this cruise because of the ports. I wish Celebrity did more French ports. We did a lovely cruise a few years ago on the Constellation which had an overnight stop in Le Havre and one in Soulac sur Mer, port for Bordeaux. I would love to see these ports amalgamated into a Southern Spain and France cruise as I am running out of itineraries from S'hamton with Celebrity. We did a ship's excursion to Ghent which was very well run and interesting. The canal boat tour in Ghent was lovely. The other excursion we did was in Cork. I do have to say the information wasn't too accurate for this as it was described as "mild" but in reality the guide announced there was to be a 45 minute walk when we stopped by the University. This was news to many on the coach and we decided it wasn't practicable for me. Another guest returned to the coach after they left so not for him either. I should probably have gone to the desk to have a word with them as it isn't very fair not to let Celebrity answer the criticism. I also felt that particular excursion would have been better visiting an Irish pub for an Irish coffee and not the rather soulless hotel we called at. In Greenock a friend of mine came to collect us. I had enquired could we maybe see to getting her a guest pass as I would have loved to show her the ship but apparently that wasn't possible. However when we did meet her on dockside she told us that people had been getting passes and had been going onboard. I feel Celebrity lost an opportunity there as my friend would definitely be a suite guest were she to chose to travel on a cruise with her partner. She took us to the seaside resort of Larghs and the world famous ice cream parlour Nardini's ....even though so well fed on the Eclipse we couldn't resist treats there. In Liverpool my daughter brought my car and I had arranged to take a couple I had met up with on the roll call on a tour of the city. I have done this before for friends and family and have got the itinerary down to a fine art. We managed to get to every site either before or after other tours so I was quite pleased at that as my Floridian friend got a clear view and time to take her photos. We did a full day of leisurely sightseeing. What was so wonderful about this day was the welcome the port of Liverpool gave the ship!!! We were greeted with a Sergeant Pepper's band whose playing and singing would put many a show to shame - they were brilliant! The Mayor of Liverpool was there ....and apparently came on board as one of the Guest Relations staff told us she had had her picture taken with him! This gave the many Americans on board a tremendous impression of Liverpool! I loved the sail into the city as it gives a different perspective and when it came to the sail away the port even outdid its welcome! The band played.... the dock busied up with spectators to watch the ship leave...... waving and cheering and then..... they had 3 cannons which exploded with blue and white "ticker tape" sending it high into the sky. The dock side staff all had large foam "hands " to use for waving and a fire fighter's tug chugged in and the crew lined the dockside to wave us off and did a can can ! Our captain responded with a series of blasts of the Eclipse's horn and I have to be honest I got quite choked up! The reaction of the ships' passengers was one of sheer delight in the experience and people were talking about it for days. I feel Liverpool had to be a highlight for many people on that cruise! I wish Celebrity had made Liverpool its future home rather than Dublin.... I feel they have lost a march there ! We had lovely greetings and help from the ladies at St Peter Port,Guernsey, all of whom seemed very proud of their island and were keen to promote it. We enjoyed Amsterdam, having been there many times we knew where we wished to wander and it is nice to sail to walking distance of a great city. It was a shame it was a drizzly start to the second day. So a good itinerary but I am now struggling to decide where to go in future if choosing Celebrity. I don't feel like travelling to Dublin to take the ship as S'hampton is easier. It is going to be a problem for me. Leaving the ship on the last day well Celebrity has this down to a fine art. We were helped off the ship and collecting luggage and a taxi to the station was a breeze.

3 Days in France

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 1C 8191
Close to the forward elevators. Very quiet room and area. Excellent cabin steward Bagus. Bed near balcony. Usual great bathroom and shower.
Vista Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins