3. Sapphire Princess
Let me start by saying embarkation was simple and easy. We had everything signed and out before we got in line; which made things go easier and faster. It took 30 minutes from the time we entered the line until we entered our cabin; which was a partially obstructed ocean view mid deck; perfect location so as to minimize the motion from any rough seas. We had about 12 hours of rough seas on day 4.

Of all the lines I have cruised so far, Princess is now my favorite. The food and "dedicated" service well exceeded our expectations. We chose the anytime dining option. You can make reservations for 3 days in advance; which I suggest. We encountered people without having reservations having to wait for seating and/or share tables. We always were seated immediately and at a table for 2. The service was very good but not excellent; until we found the Savoy and Miheala. We went there and sat in her section for the last 5 nights of the cruise.

The entertainment was good and varied. Something for everyone every night at one of the many different venues and lounges. Ranging from great production shows in the theater to comedians and music groups in the Explorer Lounge to string quartets in the Atrium.

One thing I liked on the Sapphire Princess is that they were not always snapping your picture or pushing drinks. Other than the formal nights; our only other pictures were on embarkation and at Ketchikan.

Another thing I liked was that Princess offered a few casual GLBT get togethers in the evenings. It was nice to meet other GLBT people without being on a mainstream cruise.

Alaska weather is always wet/rainy. We were fortunate for the first 4 days in that the showers were in the early morning and the time in port was either overcast or partly sunny. It showered in Skagway and we had rough seas between Glacier Bay and Prince William Sound with swells up to 20'. I found it to be an interesting adventure as I do not suffer from motion sickness.

There are many activities to choose from during the days at sea; from wine tastings to art auctions to dance classes to doing absolutely nothing.

Although disembarkation went smoothly, once you were off the ship, it was like you were cut loose to fend for yourself. We made independent arrangements to take the Alaska Railroad train from Whittier through Grandview to Anchorage. There was no comfortable place to sit and wait while in the Whittier Terminal except hard folding chairs which staff kept trying to take and put away. We were not the only people waiting for the train.

Overall, I loved the cruise and Alaska. This was my second Alaska cruise and we would go back again; when the opportunity presents itself.

Alaska in Septemeber

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Houston-cruise-lover

• Sail Date: September 2009
  • Destination: Alaska

Houston-cruise-lover’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Cabin E503
Small cabin at 160 sq feet but well laid out. It had a large closet; with an armoire for folded clothes as well as a safe for valuables. great use of floor plan
  Sapphire Princess Deck Plans