This cruise was suggested to me by my friend who is a travel agent. In Bergen we embarked the ship. Boarding was OK, but when we got to the room - it was disaster! (There had been a problem with perhaps a broken pipe or something, the floor was saturated - there were towels and mats all saturated. So, we did not get that room. (You would have thought that the booking reception would have been informed). However, a lovely Swedish lady came to our aid. She was just lovely. She took us to the other side of the ship (not port side) and we were so glad that she did that. The noise on portside was loud, particularly when docking and loading and then on leaving at each port. However, at each port there was unloading and loading of cargo and people. This shipping company has to walk a fine line between pleasing passengers and being a vital link to the communities that are far from major cities. At night we would see tiny villages dotted along the coast. Hugging the shorelines as it is usually fishing that keeps these communities economically above water. It isn't New York. There is no other trade or anything else that could be done in some of these areas along the water line. Very little land. Although you would see the very rare farming areas. This shipping company does a wonderful work and is extremely vital to keep these villages alive and supplied. I praise them for their work. It is not a good thing to work in the extreme cold and water and rain/snow and wind. It is not pleasant. However, without this shipping line - life would come to a very quick and sticky end. So, with that in mind, ((to those that grumble about this shipping line) - this is NOT the Queen Mary 2 ship. It is not meant to be. I believe the company that owns this line should be supported and recognised for trying to please the passengers and the communities, the companies that rely on this shipping line - and of course the staff they employ. What a wonderful staff of people. They are out to please you. Even the Captain signed books and certificates, etc. (Might I say what a dashing gentleman he is!). Then there was Anna (the Swedish lady) who is in charge of the passenger's welfare (accommodation etc). She is a star. Always time for helping, always pleasant, There are the shop staff who are wonderful too. The restaurant staff (the meals were excellent), the mechanical engineers, the loaders, the staff supporting others. All just wonderful. No - we did not see the Northern lights (although there was a very faint hint of a run one evening just before we were to disembark). This was disappointing to my travel agent friend, but not particularly to me as I lived in Northern B.C. Canada and saw the lights every winter. Some seasons more beautiful then others. Just before closing my comment, I wish to say to people who intend to go on this ship. Remember it is not a cruise line. It is a passenger ship. Entirely different. So, if you want to sit back and not move a muscle or lie in the sun on the deck or be waited on hand and foot try Queen Mary 2! However, if you seek an adventure and are interested in Norway and the Fjords and small villages - this is the ship for you. Please support the villages that you may visit. Buy their goods. At least show some interest in their talents. They are all trying to make a living from tourism. They are very welcoming, warm and generous. Yes, I would go again, just to see all again what I saw the first time. Thank you to the Nordlys Hurtigruten.

Know what you want

Nordlys Cruise Review by L.I.N

L.I.N’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Nordlys price drops

Can't remember my cabin number. However, because it was not on the loading and unloading side of the ship - it was pleasant. Not much room, but sufficient. The bathrooms were small but effective. The closet space was good. Plenty of room.