• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise

practicalgal
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Jun 2017
Cabin: Suite with French Balcony

My husband and I booked the Splendors of Italy cruise which has pre and post-cruise extensions in Milan, Florence, and Rome. We made the choice based on the exceptional/very good reviews of others and the itinerary. We are experienced with ocean cruises, but this was our first river cruise. We are not wealthy, but we splurged for a suite (#411 which was 1 of only 4). Overall, while the experience was very good as far as cuisine and drinks, it fell short on basic expectations.

Would I recommend? If the itinerary and excursions are your #1 priority, there are better and far less expensive options to consider. For others for whom cuisine and liquor are priorities and who are impressed by a beautiful boat, and do not care where they are cruising, I would say "go for it."

What do I mean by basic expectations not being met?

Suite with French Balcony

Cabin S

We choose the suite to gain a little extra room. Be aware that you will be docked for 4 nights in 2 different locations in Venice. If you are unlucky, as we were, to be on the wrong side of the boat, your view will be of an ugly port building. The considerable price difference to book a suite is not worth the extra expense. Small is small. Go cheaper.

14 Helpful Votes