Marina Cruise Review

Marina Cruise Review by rileyta

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Stateroom

We got a great deal so the trip was a no-brainer. The room was as advertised. Large compared to our other cruises. I know that baths are important to some, but I think those square feet could be better spent elsewhere. I loved the little extras. Free sodas and water and self serve laundry services. I didn't feel that Oceania was trying to nickel and dime us. The food in the main dining room started off sort of bland for the first few days. It got better as time went on. The buffet was good and I really liked the "specials". The specialty restaurants were outstanding. The miso sea bass at red ginger and the filet at the polo club were highlights. The service was almost too good. After being served portions at the buffet, our plates were taken from us and taken to a table of our choosing. I must bring attention to the culinary workers. We had a very rainy bike ride in Sweden and came back soaked. My iphone was in my flooded pocket and started glitching. I went to the culinary center, asked for and was given a bag of rice to dry out my phone. It worked, saving my pictures as well as the phone. My big regret was that we did not port in Amsterdam and instead went to Bremerhaven. The captain said it was too stormy to use the locks. The cruise director later said that other ships had tried and failed, bobbing all night in the rough water. I tried to check but I couldn't find the info. I don't blame them if this was truly the case. I must say that any other problems we had were not the fault of Oceania. I should also mention the cabin stewardess down the hall that we had several conversations with. On the last night (I'm sure their busiest) I felt like I was getting an ear infection. I mentioned it to her and in 5 minutes she was at my door with qtips and alcohol pads. Great service.

rileyta's Full Rating Summary

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin B2 8023

Very nice cabin. I like that they don't go for the towel animals and gushy flattery. The service staff was smiling professional and conversational. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows too soft and by the middle of the night, flat. Lots of room and a nice sized balcony. I read a November review of our room stating that the safe had problems. We had the same problems in June. I don't know why they don't replace it.

D-Day Beaches

Very well guided. Omaha and Utah beaches along with the cemetery and villages. We toured on June 4 and the preparations for the anniversary and reenactments were great.

View All 83 D-Day Beaches Reviews
Canal Boat Tour

Bruges is a beautiful city. The line was a bit long and the boats a bit big, but the scenery was outstanding

View All 39 Canal Boat Tour Reviews

Somewhere between a bike tour and a walking tour. Very well directed. We saw all the highlights and some things maybe not as famous. A very fun choice.

Amsterdam

Because of a storm they said the liner could not navigate the locks into Amsterdam.

One of our least favorite Segway tours. Too stiff and the use of recorded commentary was less than ideal.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

We had a beautiful bike ride to a huge park on the outskirts of the city. Lakes, lilypads and trails for days. Rain kind of shortened it though.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Probably the worst walking tour or food tour we've taken. They didn't meet at the chosen spot. We had to find someone with a phone to call the contact number and meet after the tour had started. The food tour was one "cafeteria-like" restaurant for a small plate of appetizers. The dessert restaurant was closed so we ate a dessert so bad the guide wouldn't eat it. The walking tour was a lot of back streets and none of the tourist highlights. There was a cheese/meats tasting that would have been great, but the food was on crackers that were soft and wet. The owner said he expected us much earlier.

Gothenburg

Not much to see and do in Gothenburg. We did a canal boat tour which was just o.k..

Castles of North Zealand

Highly recommend using the trains to see the castles. So much cheaper and they take you very close to them.

View All 25 Castles of North Zealand Reviews

We wanted to get to Brussels and this did the trick. It was more informative than expected. Commentary on the bus as well as a walking tour of the main square and beyond.

rileyta