3. Carnival Sunshine
Booked a 4 day with family members to celebrate an early 30th birthday for one member. I did some research and did not want to be on an older run down ship. Sunshine had refurbishment and good reviews. We were all very happy with the appearance of the ship when we made it to the port in Charleston, SC. The port was very easy to locate in downtown Charleston. Of the 8 other cruises I have been on this was the longest embarkrcation or at last one having to stand up most of the time. Had to park and then load on a bus for a very short ride to the terminal. Long lines for the security check. Once we got to the desk it was fast and we were onboard quickly. We had a late boarding so the cabins were ready and we went and got food after depositing our carryon's. the room was standard fare and clean and our room steward was very good. The ship is not gaudy or tacky like some of the older Carnival ships. With Neon and mind numbing decor. I would categorize this as more tasteful. Also is easy to navigate. One area though we didn't even know about till we were getting off. Ocean Plaza. There was a shake shop, more bars. Since we didn't do the casino we didn't wander into this part during the cruise. To sum it up the Sunshine was a very clean ship. I never saw anything other than a few plates in the hallways. The tables were bussed quickly and the buffet was very tidy and clean. The buffet breakfast could be crowded at peak times but there were other options like a made to order omelet station in Havana Bar and you could eat in the havana bar. We were always able to find seats in there. We ate in the dining room late seating each night. We loved our wait staff. We had the late sitting at 8:15 and I don't think I saw any kids. It was a fun rowdy crowd on the nights when the waiters danced. Good fun. The menu options were a good variety. Do not upgrade to the filet mignon on the menu. It's $20 and it was a huge bulky piece of meat that was hard to cut. This was a complementary thing for our table thank goodness. The lobster was also very tiny. Guys Burger joint was a big highlight. One family member ate a burger every day. They are specialty burgers with unique combo's. Sometimes the lines were very long. The fries were excellent too. The Blue Iguana Cafe was decent. At least it's another option and also offers breakfast. I'd skip the deli. Only so so. The pizza was good and hot straight from the oven. There was also a pasta & wok station. One person in our group tried the pasta and liked it. Nobody had the wok station due to we only discovered it at the end. I thought the bread was excellent in the lido. The croissants were flaky and soft and the banana bread was moist and tasty. The desserts on the buffet were kind of bland but the ones in the dining room at night were overall tasty especially the carnival signature Chocolate Melting Cake. I would suggest Carnival mix up the bread each night in the dining room. The best bread baskets I have ever had was on Royal and Disney. The shows in the Limelight lounge were excellent. Talented singers. They are right at 30 minutes. The adult comedy shows were well attended. On a 4 day there were 2 comics. We only went to one since the other nights couldn't find a seat. So get there early. The drinks were good. I liked that we were not bothered anywhere on the ship by people asking us constantly if we wanted to order something. The coffee was actually good. There is unsweet tea, lemonade and juice available too. The adult pool was adult the times were were there but it was crowded. The water was very cold. Lots of people putting stuff in the nice cabanas and hammocks and then going off to other places. On the last day the crew would monitor and take the peoples stuff to a central location if they didn't return within 2 hours. All in all I would sail on the Sunshine again and was perfect for a short cruise. We only had one port in Nassau. I was tempted not to even get off the ship but we did end up going to the beach as another family member has been there frequently and knows the lay of the land. It was very hot. Starbucks has wifi if you need to plug back in. We walked about 1.5 miles to public beach, but took a taxi back due to it was so hot. The air filter over my bed decided to blow out a flood of dust debris all over my bed while we were at dinner the first night. So check your air filter to make sure there are not any dark particles sticking thru. Someone obviously didn't change this in a timely manner. Housekeeping, Maintenance and the officer in charge of housekeeping all showed up and the filter was changed and room completely sanitized. Yes we did have to move all our stuff into the hall but I wanted it completely clean so that was our choice. I went to guest services the next day to make sure all this was documented. They offered 4 free drinks (not impressed) but in the end after insisting they gave me either a free dinner for 4 at the Italian eatery or the $20 upgrade at the table for steak and lobster. Someone also called the day after to make sure things were ok. We do the self assist off the ship so we were off as soon as everything was cleared and got thru customs quickly and on the road back home. It was also Memorial Day and there was no traffic downtown Charleston.

SUNSHINE WAS A WONDERFUL SHIP!

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by j.smithchild12

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Bahamas

j.smithchild12’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

The cabin was standard Carnival. This is my 5th Carnival and have stayed in everything from a suite to inside. Nothing fancy, but clean and functional. Hardly in the room. The beds were not overly comfortable and this room had loud noise on the day we docked in Nassau and back in Charleston. We were on Deck 1 and too near the anchors obviously.
  Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans