3. Pacific Jewel
My husband and I chose this cruise as I got a really great deal from Cruise Sale Finders for a 10N Mini-Suite + free Bev Package and $100 cabin credit. We hadn't been on a cruise for 9 years and thought it was about time to 'set sail' on a much needed holiday. I chose a time in the year that wasn't during school holidays as we wanted an 'adult break'. We've been on a few cruises in the past (Dawn/Sun). Positives: - Embarkation was so smooth as we were treated like VIPs as we had a Mini-suite so it took no time at all to board and our bags were delivered within an hour of boarding! Wow! - The cabin was fantastic and the cabin stewards were amazing (thanks Mae and Edi) - Only entertainment we loved was Steady Eddy - brilliant and funny but only had one show - Quad bike/Zego tour in Port Vila was awesome, except our Zego kept breaking down - Disembarkation was smooth as well, of and out within 15 mins - The island ports were amazing - MysteryIs was awesome as usual, Lifou was lovely and Isle of Pines was spectacular. Noumea was grubby as ever, expensive and unattractive but the shore tour to Anse Vata was worth the trip - lovely beach and delicious pastries Negatives: - Service was very slow, sometimes hard to find bar staff to serve you - Service staff always ignored you when walking past. Only people that acknowledge you were the crew in uniforms and a few of the table cleaners in The Pantry - they were lovely - Entertainment was terrible. D-grade entertainers, boring and even some of the bands playing around the ship were not very entertaining - The Jewel needs a face lift as the furniture, decor and smell is OLD, like from the 80's and is desperately asking for a revamp - Some toilets kept breaking down so limited places to use - Food option were boring, bland, tasteless and not a lot of fun options for a vegetarian - Desert options were boring and were always small little sponge cakes with cream - Kids were always hogging the spa's. All The Time!! There was only 2 and there was always 5-7 kids in them every day! So I never actually got in the spa! Overall: My husband and I love P&O and will try a different P&O ship but won't go on the Jewel unless it gets a massive upgrade. I'm looking forward to see what the Explorer can offer, so watch out P&O we might be coming back soon.

The Pacific Jewel needs some much needed attention

Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by prunes71

Positives:

- Disembarkation was smooth as well, of and out within 15 mins

Negatives:

- Service was very slow, sometimes hard to find bar staff to serve you

- Some toilets kept breaking down so limited places to use

Overall:

prunes71’s Full Rating Summary
Get P&O Australia Pacific Jewel price drops

Our cabin was fantastic. We decided to spoil ourselves a little on this cruise by upgrading to a Mini-suite and I'm so glad we did. It was spacious, had plenty of luggage and clothes space for a 10N cruise (I pack a lot) and the balcony was just the right size. We used the room and balcony most days to eat breakfast (with a glorious view) and lunch without the hoards of people looking for a table.
Our cabin Stewards Mae and Edi were amazing. So friendly, polite, courteous and made you feel special. When they saw you walking down the hallway they would always greet you by your name, always with a smile and always asked about your day. They worked long hours and always had a smile on their face. These two wonderful people were one of the highlights of this cruise.

• Isle of Pines (New Caledonia)
    As soon as we disembarked the tender we walked towards the rock in Kanumera Bay, there was a tour guide selling tours for A$25. Well worth the money and stopped at various sites on the island. Went for about 3 hours so well worth the money spent. Word to the wise, if you go to the cave (extra $6) make sure you wear shoes that won't slip or bring a change of clothes. I had a mud bath, ended up with mud from my calves to the back of my head. You'll also need your phone torch as it's pitch black inside so beware, but well worth it.
    View All 13,278 Isle of Pines (New Caledonia) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Isle of Pines (New Caledonia) Cruise Port Review
  • Mystery Island
    An uninhabited island in Vanuatu's Tafea province. There is an airstrip down the centre of the island and you can walk around the whole island in 45 mins. Gorgeous clear water, a snorkelers paradise with colourful fish, sea slugs and vibrant blue starfish. The coral has been destroyed a bit so be careful not to touch it while you're snorkelling and help maintain and preserve the area. The markets have plenty of fun staff so bring lots of $5 notes with you as they use Australian currency. Fella's make sure you enjoy a Tusker Beer (usually not cold) but it's fun having different beers on your travels.
    View All 225 Mystery Island Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mystery Island Cruise Port Review
  • Anse Vata Beach
    Saw some of Noumea's city landmarks, bays and beaches on the way to Anse Vata. A lovely area, quite the boutique area and very expensive. Spent some time with hubby relaxing at Anse Vata beach while eating a pastry and devouring a gelato. Not much else to do there but had a great time
    View All 9 Anse Vata Beach Reviews