Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review
1,652 Reviews

Wonderful cruise destinations, horrible food and horrible dining room service.

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by photomaniac101

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

We choose this cruise because of the ports of call which were awesome, but I was informed on board they will no longer be doing this nine day itinerary. The ship is small and easy to get around which I liked and was well maintained. There is nothing spectacular about the atrium on this ship. The food in the buffet was horrible and was lacking in taste and quality. The food in the dining room was also lacking compared to the 6 other cruises I have been on. Service was also very poor in the dining room which I did't get since we were sitting directly behind the servers station. We only had 5 people at our table that could seat 12 so I didn't understand the lack service. The couple at the 2 top near us got mad several nights and after the 5th night didn't come back. We talked to the general manager and it was better for a couple nights is all. We did try two of the specialty restaurants and they were very good with good service. The girls at the coffee bar which I went to every morning were very friendly and nice. I will mention that the coffee card you buy now is not worth the money if you drink a medium or large size specialty coffee. They now punch the card twice for a medium and three times for a large. So I would just order two smalls. The pool was a nice size however the area around was small and chairs were very crowded around the pool and the level overlooking the pool. The running track also went around the level above the pool and through all the chairs which i didn't like. The indoor pool area/Solarium was nice with lots of seating area if you like that. There was also a lack of bathrooms on this ship and none around the outdoor pool area. You either had to go inside to use the one located for the Windjammer buffet or go into the Solarium and use that one. All in all it was a nice cruise and every one was very nice.

With 6 port days it was very busy. I will say while Santorini is beautiful, if you go there when it is time to return to the ship be prepared to either walk down the steps (which there are 624 because i counted), take a donkey down, or wait in a very long line for the gondolas. Everyone was supposed to be back on the ship by 4 and we got there at 3:15 and the line was horrible so we walked down the steps which took us about 20 mins. Then we had to wait for the tender boat which we waited through 2 boats before getting on. I will say there were donkeys everywhere, but few were being used to go down. You could walk faster than those donkeys were going and it looked very unsafe since it's pretty much straight down hill. So if you can't walk down the steps I would plan your day to be back early to get to the ship. I heard there were people left behind. As for excursions it looked like there were plenty good ones offered but I compared what RCCL was charging to what I could get on our own and booked everything myself as I always do using the recommendations on here and from trip advisor. We had great excursions and tour guides. Be sure to go onto the roll call boards and sign on for your cruise. We booked several shared tours with people there and they were all great. Oh I almost forgot, don't waste your money on a massage. It was just mediocre at best. Spend the money on something else!!

photomaniac101's Full Rating Summary

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin D2 1148

Cabin was very nice with lots of room to move about, ample storage space and a nice balcony. It was cleaned and maintained well by room steward. Jogging track was right above and could easily hear walkers/runners in the mornings. I really was only noticed it being a problem the morning we didn't get into port until 11am.

photomaniac101