3. American Queen
I was expecting a hot steamy average cruise. But I was wrong, dead wrong. This cruise was as classy and as pleasing as the major cruise lines can offer on a medium size boat. The food was American fare and it was just to our liking. Nothing European fancy and nothing exotic it was just what Americans like. The cabins are small, but the newer ships are squeezing the cabins smaller and smaller. So we enjoyed the size of the cabin. The size of the bathroom was bigger than on some cruise ships. The amenities were generous and the cabin steward was the best we have experienced. All of the staff actually seemed to enjoy working there. Frank Delreo of NCL says "Happy employees make happy customers". He is one hundred percent right. The American Queen's employees really seemed to like their job working on the cruise ship and the customers really enjoyed the cruise. It makes a lot of sense. Our cabin steward, Jesse of section 4.1 was outstanding. I never found her without a smile on her face. Remember the cabin walls are thin so bring ear plugs. Cruising down the Mississippi is calm and smooth. So there will never be any concern about rough seas. It is like a smooth highway of water. The entertainment was very good. The musicians and singers were excellent. There were two main seating's for dinner and then two main shows every night to accommodate. Most of the cruisers were sixty to eighty years, but there were several young couples. It looked like most everyone enjoyed the situation. My wife wanted to see as many plantations as we could see so we opted for all of the plantation tours. My favorite was at Natchez when we were most graciously received into the home of Ginger Hyland. We were shown around a huge home and then invited to a fabulous southern cooked dinner. Excellent. We highly recommend the American Queen Steamboat cruise down the lower Mississippi.

Absolutely a Great Cruise Down the Lower Mississippi

American Queen Cruise Review by digcruising2

digcruising2’s Full Rating Summary
Get American Queen price drops

Small but adequate. Bed was excellent for sleeping. The walls were thin, but we knew from the previous reviews to expect this so we brought ear plugs. The bathroom was larger than expected with normal amenities. No refrigerator or microwave, but there was a TV with all local channels and a few sports channels and the news channels.