3. Koningsdam
We chose the Kongingsdam last year when we were in Rotterdam, on the Rotterdam and saw the new Ship leave for the first time. It seemed bigger than we might want but smaller than the mega cruiseliners. So we booked on board at the future cruise consultants. It is a beautiful ship, nicely appointed, lovely artwork even in the stairwells. I did notice the differences and yes I too miss the library, however there are so many lovely things, I think one just has to go with the flow. There are other HAL ships to love if this is not your cup of tea. We book Neptune suites and on the Koningsdam these are wonderful places. In the suite my wife misses the little changing area which was replaced by a separate room for sink and toilet, personally I found it not great use of space. The room is beautiful, color soothing, flat screen on the wall over the couch. Loved the room. And always love the Neptune Lounge. Changes here include a different presentation of food which I didn't love as one has to take the plates as they are presented. Other ships let you choose as you like. Small thing. To us a suite is worth the price. Main dining room just beautiful, every meal was just wonderful. The staff just lovely. Specialty restaurants: Sel de Mar, a wonderful addition to the Pinacle Grill and Tamarind. Sea food perfectly fresh, perfectly cooked, perfectly presented. Farm to table restaurant was also worth a visit. Dive, NY Deli and Pizza, Lido...I never understand people who are not pleased with their meals onboard. We travel and visit restaurants around the world. It is very VERY hard to beat the food on board. Last night we went to Ruth's Chris in LA...the steak was much better at the Pinnacle Grill. As to room service: very prompt, hot coffee,but every breakfast order was incorrectly filled. A small item but still. The room stewards always excellent and this time no exception. The new show rooms are all different, all good. Loved the face to face sing along piano(s) bar, spent a lot of time with the duo there. The main stage is a wonderful space, we don't love the production numbers but others do. The classical music strings very good, the BB King group, one of our favs, is now two stories. I didn't love this iteration of musicians, liked the ones on other ships but...oh, well. These folks were good. Just personal preference. This was our 13th HAL cruise and we are planning our 14th. To each his/her own. We feel like family on these ships and couldn't imagine a vacation on any other line. They are also very good to loyal customers and we appreciate that. Being a four star Mariner gets one a certain amount of perks and they add to the experience. We like that we have different size ships to choose from, each has its own strengths and drawbacks but all in all we are fans. This ship is big, no doubt. So the kind of smaller "family feeling" is harder to find. But my wife and I learned that smiling and saying hello, learning a few words of Indonesian and Tagalog, even Dutch go a long way. People like to be treated like people and not functionaries. I wish more people would take time to get to know the staff and ask them about their lives, their countries, their families. It will enrich one's life in unexpected ways, and perhaps restore some faith in the goodness of people (stepping off my soap box). We had been to most of the ports before from Rome to Amsterdam. We used a portion of HAL excursions and outside excursions, all worked just fine. We tried a few other lines, some are good some not so good. Personal choice of course. We always have great vacations with HAL.

Koningsdam: A New Member of the Family

Koningsdam Cruise Review by Rabarro

Rabarro’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Neptune Suite with Verandah
Cabin SA 7085
Very pretty, nicely appointed, great TV, comfortable bed. All in all a great cabin, my wife missed the makeup/change area. Wonderful shower and bath, double sinks a nice touch, lovely mirrors. Didn't ever use the espresso in room machine.
Schubert Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins