3. Adventure of the Seas
This was my third cruise - my first time on Royal Caribbean and my first in and out of San Juan. My boyfriend and I went together - we're mid 30s professionals from San Francisco. The first and last day of the cruise were the nicest weather-wise. All days in between were rainy and overcast. We skirted a tropical storm, had one port cancelled and spent an extra day at sea. The day at sea would have been nice if the sun was shining, but it was cloudy and rainy. Twice we went through serious thunder and lightening storms and once a communication tower was stuck by lightning. GREAT! However, this is a cruise ship review so I'm pleased to say I loved the ship! Adventure of the Seas is bright, colorful and beautiful. The ship is full of different types of art everywhere. The promenade was truly impressive - nothing like that on Princess! Entertainment: The activities were non-stop and attracted a lot of people. From afternoon movie trivia, to acoustic guitar, to a 70s dance party in the street, there was always something going on. This is typically the case for cruise ships but to our surprise almost all activities were well attended by enthusiastic, happy participants. People played, danced, drank and just had fun from day 1 to day 7! Most ship activities seemed to take place from 5pm to midnight, after people returned from port. Photo-takers were plentiful and they produced good photos for reasonable prices. The shows were great too! We enjoyed all the shows to varying degree even though we would never see something like the Temptations tribute or the male singers at home. The ice show was excellent. The dancing was great, the costumes and sets were well done. We enjoyed our cruise director Chris Northey and came to feel like we knew him over the week. He mostly appeared before and after the shows but was silly and entertaining. He excelled in his role as host during the Love and Marriage show and Quest. Nighttime music and dancing: Unlike some Princess cruises, we - nightlife lovers - were never disappointed by the variety and abundance of late night music. We enjoyed very authentic salsa music in the Blue Moon two nights and danced at Jester's other nights. The casino was hopping most nights, karaoke was popular in the Imperial Lounge, and much more. In short - we were very pleased with the lively entertainment and enthusiastic attendance on this ship. We did not feel old!! Food: Dinner: We tried the second seating dinning for the first time and were pleased that RCI placed us with other couples around our age. Our table was assigned 5 couples, most of whom came every night. We had a lot of fun, and a lot of wine, and it was great to look forward to catching up with everyone after a day on our own. Even though we were from different parts of the countries and political views, conversations never got out of hand. There was always a consensus of fun and respect. Of course, we were often commiserating about the bad weather and complaining about cancelled excursions. We bought a five bottle wine package which made choosing bottles simpler. I recommend this just to make your cruise a bit more special. After the first night our "customer-first" waiter got a handle on all our demands and eccentricities and provided great service. The food varied, I must say. As a result our whole table typically ordered two or more appetizers or entries each. If you like an entrEe - for example the lobster - order a second when you're ready. It will come much quicker and is usually fresher or hotter than the first one. Since many portions are small we didn't waste food when we ordered multiple dishes. Some food was disappointing but it was never inedible. Seafood was always good, especially the catch of the day and the salmon. Lunch in the main dining was available on the two sea days and was worth it. They have a special salad station that was great. Windjammer food was boring and blah. Since I don't eat meat, only seafood and vegetarians options, I didn't have many choices. The pasta was overcooked or greasy. People said the hamburgers were soggy. Anyway, we didn't expect much from here. Room: We had an inside stateroom on Deck 7. Yes, towel animals. Yes, enough space. Minimal ship movement. We liked the interactive tv where you can view your bill. Did not like all those mirrors at every single angle - but that's just me! Embarkation/Disembarkation: We avoided a HUGE line to get on by simply carrying on our two pieces of luggage each. We rolled our bags straight to our cabin around 3pm so it was a cinch. After the cruise we were in no hurry to leave since we had 2 more nights in San Juan so we had breakfast, packed, got our of our room around 9:30 and strolled right off the boat at 10:15 without any labels/tags, leaving bags in the hall, waiting areas or anything. If you pack (relatively) light, just DIY! Ports: Barbados: walked around town, got caught in the rain, hailed a taxi to a beach, went straight from the taxi to underneath a lifeguard station because it was pouring. Watched from there as the beautiful turquoise waters turned brown due to the swells and sand that was churned up. He stood under the station while I went swimming. I stood under the station while he went swimming. We went back to the boat and it was still pouring. AH, THE CARIBBEAN! St. Lucia. It rained less, we did a 3 hour drive plus a local "historical living" experience where we sample fruit and stayed on Rodney Bay beach for a couple of hours while dark clouds passed over us but never split. Antigua was cancelled so this was a sea day. St. Maartin. It rained twice while we were on the island, both time we happened to be safe in a minibus in between Phillipsburg and Marigot. $2 each way. Not much to do in Phillipsburg unless you want to buy diamonds or watches or drink beer by the beach. In Marigot we were amused by the infusion of French shops, banks, food and language, but were dismayed by the high prices in Euros. St. Croix. It didn't rain but was overcast with threatening clouds the entire day. Nevertheless we paid $25 for a roundtrip to Cane Bay complete with beach chair and snorkeling equipment. We snorkeled - good snorkeling - and relaxed, had a beer. The only thing lacking was the sun. One complaint: Since it was rainy most days I would have liked to sleep in but there wasn't anyway of knowing what the weather would be (inside cabin). The ship camera on the bow/tv didn't show rain, just whether it was sunny or not. A weather predication/report would be a nice feature on the tv... Of course, most people will probably have SUNNY x 7, it was just our bad luck. In short - great ship, lots of fun night activities for our age group and young adults!

Rainy days, Fun nights

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by merrydeath

Antigua was cancelled so this was a sea day.
merrydeath’s Full Rating Summary