3. Radiance of the Seas
This cruise went on sale in March, 2016 for solo travelers. I got an ocean view cabin to myself for about $75 a day. That's a deal! Flying into Anchorage, AK, and flying home from Vancouver, BC, Canada made the air fare cost almost as much as the cruise. I picked the shore excursions I wanted, although a lot of them seemed pricey. My cabin was great. My cabin steward, Michael, was awesome. He knew me from the picture that was taken when I boarded so that when I walked down the aisle to my cabin, he greeted me by name the very first time he saw me! Michael took care of everything I needed, always had a smile on his face, and was wonderful to talk to. I chose 'My Time' dining so that I could go to the dining room whenever I was ready. That meant I usually sat at a different table with different people for every meal. Chit-chatting about the same thing over and over again got a little wearing, but I met a lot of very nice people. The food was great. For breakfast and lunch, I usually went to the Windjammer buffet. I never had a problem finding a place to sit except for the very last morning before we got off the ship. The Windjammer was especially empty during days we were in port. The ship itself is nice, but if you look closely, it could use some renovation/refurbishment. A few seat cushions in the Solarium had stuffing breaking out of them. Many of the chairs in the public areas were scratched or dented. The lectures by Dominique about the ports were interesting and helpful. She also gave a nice lecture on bald eagles. I went to one lecture by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. The guy who spoke mostly read off his notes. But, the female speaker was much better. She related more details in her stories, and made us care more about the people in her stories. Entertainment was nice, but not out of the ordinary. I caught the tribute show to Billy Joel/Elton John/Barry Manilow. That was really good. The comedian I saw was also quite funny. I went to the Murder Mystery Dinner at Giovanni's. It had cheesy, hammy over-the-top acting, but it was funny. And, I enjoyed being able to question each suspect before determining who-dunnit. The ports of call in Alaska were fascinating. I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat.

I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by jillou323

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Alaska

I picked the shore excursions I wanted, although a lot of them seemed pricey.

The ports of call in Alaska were fascinating.

I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat.
jillou323’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

The cabin was a nice size, with one king bed, a small sofa and a desk. The ocean view was via a very large window. Best guess is that it's 3-4 feet in diameter. The bathroom is tiny, especially the shower stall. Plenty of storage in the room and the bathroom.
  Radiance of the Seas Deck Plans

• Wildlife Tour
    After a 45 minute drive to Spasski River Valley, including a stop to allow a mother bear and her two cubs to cross the road, we got to our stopping point. A short hike into the woods along a path took us to the first observation deck. It was a pretty view, but no bears. Same for the second observation deck. However, after we had been at the third deck for a while, a gorgeous golden brown bear walked under the deck, and ate some breakfast by the river. We ooh'ed and aah'ed, as you can imagine.
    View All 64 Wildlife Tour Reviews
  • Gardens/Hatchery
    Very interesting tour of the hatchery. We saw lots of itty bitty salmon swimming around, waiting until they grew big enough to be released. The visitor's center and gift shop are also very nice.
    View All 61 Gardens/Hatchery Reviews
  • Mendenhall Glacier
    The Mendenhall glacier is amazing. I also walked the mile to see Nugget Falls. They were beautiful. I made it back in plenty of time to look around the gift shop, but I didn't have time to see the movie in the visitor's center.
    View All 889 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Potlatch Park
    The Potlatch totem park was wonderful. There were lots of totem poles. And we learned the history of the area, along with the meaning of a lot of the poles.
    View All 28 Potlatch Park Reviews
  • Seward
    I took the Big Bus from my hotel in Anchorage to Seward. We stopped at the animal conservatory along the way. Loved it. The bus was comfortable too. When we got to Seward, we got our luggage, got checked in, and got on the ship. It took maybe 10 minutes all told. Very fast and convenient.
    View All 186 Seward Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Seward Cruise Port Review
  • Dog Sledding
    The shore excursion included dogs, gold panning and the 40 below experience. I found only the dogs to be of interest to me. I loved petting them, and seeing them run in harness, if only for a short distance. And the puppies were adorable!
    View All 153 Dog Sledding Reviews
  • Gold Panning
    Gold panning didn't do a thing for me, but a lot of the people around me enjoyed it.
    View All 64 Gold Panning Reviews
  • Scenic Drive
    The bus took us up to the summit, with numerous stops on the way up there and back for photos. We also stopped at the cemetery, which was informative.
    View All 110 Scenic Drive Reviews