Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review

Not a good value...

Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review by PlainvilleGirl

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: North America River

We wanted to stay in the US this year for vacation and since we had not visited the states where the ship docked, we felt this would be a good fit. We are also interested in the Civil War and we thought that would make the cruise more interesting for us. The cruise was expensive, but we hoped it would be "top shelf" making it worth the money spent.

There were no transfers offered from the airport to the hotel, but it was easy enough to ride Uber. We were disappointed, however, that the hotel chosen by the cruise line was in the suburban part of the city rather than the downtown where we could have walked around, visited museums, etc. Breakfast at the hotel was not included, but transportation to the boat the following day was.

We were quite surprised when we boarded the ship and saw how worn out it looked. The décor was disappointing and the furniture dirty (especially dining room chairs), not comfortable), and basically needing to be replaced. The carpets looked like they needed a good cleaning. We were shocked to learn the ship is only 2 years old. It has not been well maintained.

The food was good to mediocre, leaning more towards mediocre. We were never offered second helpings and, more often than not, reminded we could order "half" portions. Lunches always were made from leftovers of the dinner the night before. Selections were limited but, most disappointing, the food just wasn't very good in both taste and presentation.

We enjoyed the Civil War lecturer but the "riverlorians" (never heard that word till this cruise) were a bit hokey. The entertainment was geared toward the older senior citizens and was not often well attended except for those that wanted to take advantage of the open bar.

There was no wine selection. They only served Mondavi's Woodbridge wine which I do not think of as good quality. When I asked if I could have different wines, I was told there would be an upcharge to do so. Meanwhile, the bar was well stocked with good hard liquors which made the lack of wine choices all the more perplexing.

The ports of call were good and all of the tours excellent. I also must comment that the ship's staff was attentive, friendly, and professional.

Disembarking was really poor. We had paid for a tour of New Orleans and then transportation and drop off downtown. We arrived to board the bus 15 minutes early and were told there were no more seats. The explanation was, "someone must be on wrong bus." We were eventually placed on another bus (the one going to the airport) and did get a tour of the city. This is one time, however, when the tour guide wasn't very good or professional.

I really went into this cruise with high hopes of doing more trips with this company but I most certainly will not after my first encounter. It is truly a niche market and I hope that other lines will join the market and offer more quality trips on the US rivers.

PlainvilleGirl's Full Rating Summary

Cabin none known 305

The cabin was all around disappointing. The décor was unattractive and cheap. There was no safe in the room, no mini refrigerator, and "no name" amenities for shampoo and soap. The television was small and not even digital. The balcony was quite small and the table and chairs barely fit.

City Tour

Tour guide not very professional and seemed fixated on prostitution in the city.

View All 53 City Tour Reviews
Oak Alley

Loved the plantation and the mint julep (or lemon julep that I had which was half lemonade/half mint julep) was a nice touch of southern hospitality.

Baton Rouge

Good museum tour and I loved hearing about Huey Long.

Natchez

I especially enjoyed taking our own tour of the photographic exhibit at the Presbyterian Church.

PlainvilleGirl