3. Prinsendam
Our 14-day crossing was step 1 of our Epic Anniversary trip. My husband has only been on one cruise before and it did not go well, so I was concerned about whether he would like this one, but I'm happy to report that he enjoyed is--and would even go again. We arrived in Amsterdam completely relaxed without jet lag and ready to start Step 2. I'm not sure this cruise is for everyone, but it certainly was a great one for us. I loved the Prisendam (I had been on one other HAL ship before and liked it as well, but not quite as much as the Prisendam.) When we arrived for embarkation, there was no one (and I mean this literally) NO ONE waiting to board. We just walked up to the counter, and then got on the ship. Couldn't have been easier. Our bags arrived in our statement just a few minutes after we did. Even our first meal (late lunch) was without hassle. It was a great way to start the trip. The service was absolutely outstanding. Our waitstaff all knew our names by Day 2 and were so nice. The food for the most part was excellent. I appreciated all the different soups that were offered (I'm a huge fan of soups). We never felt rushed with our food whether we were eating in the dining room or in the Lido. We got breakfast room service twice and both times the meals came right on time and were delicious. We loved our cabin (#065 Signature Suite). It was a little pricey, but since it was our anniversary, we splurged a bit and I'd say it was worth it. It got a little bit chilly in the middle of the cruise so we didn't sit out on the balcony as often as I would have liked, but certainly enjoyed it when we did. There were so much storage in this cabin, we probably only used half the drawers. We loved the library selection and found several books to read. We also appreciated the huge selection of videos to borrow. We got in the habit of watching a movie in our room every evening. I thought the entertainment was okay, but not outstanding (but this isn't all that important to me). The UKE BOX group was great and glad to see them twice, but the others were a little corny (to me anyway). I thought the sessions with the Captain and 2nd Officer (two different sessions), but the "professor" lectures were not every good. Not only were they rather boring, but didn't really present any info that you couldn't just read on Wikipedia. One lecturer (the one on the "Junkmen of Paris") had an unbelievable number of typos in the Power Point slides. The jazz quartet in the Ocean Bar (I think that was the name) was great and we listened to them every evening after dinner. I was disappointed in the culinary lectures because the woman didn't seem all that knowledgeable (this was not the case with my other HAL cruise). Bottom line is that over all, this cruise exceeded my expectation and I would certainly be open to sailing on the Prisendam again!

A Relaxing Way to Get to Europe

carolpardun’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Prinsendam price drops

Signature Suite with Verandah
Cabin SS 065
Loved our cabin. We had trouble with the TV and the maintenance people simply removed it and brought us a brand new one. We had more than enough room. I loved the set up of the bathroom (having the toilet separate). We enjoyed the afghans that were included and they allowed us to sit on the balcony when it was chilly. The bed was really comfortable and the multiple pillows were great. One night we heard maintenance noise (banging for hours), but otherwise, it was very quiet. We hardly ever saw anyone in the hallways. We were aft ship, which was super convenient. One floor up for the Lido, one floor down for the gym. Would definitely be happy if I got this cabin again.
Verandah Deck Suite Cabins