Marco Polo Cruise Review

An enjoyable cruise, no real complaints

Marco Polo Cruise Review by trebor10

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Europe

We picked this cruise from Cardiff as it was close to home and because of the ports of call and very few days at sea. This was a 10 night cruise visiting France, Spain and Portugal with a night stopover in Lisbon. Embarkation and disembarkation was quickly dealt with.

I was apprehensive about sailing on the Marco Polo as I had read a lot of bad reviews but overall was impressed by her even though she is an old ship in need of updating.This was our first cruise on Marco Polo and our 4th time with CMV.. I think she is just fine for short cruises and would not consider doing a long cruise on her.

Our cabin was clean with plenty of space and we had received an upgrade from our original booking. (only difference I could see was the fact we had 2 windows instead of 2 portholes and were 1 deck up) We had tea and coffee making facilities in the cabin.

We had fantastic weather throughout from the moment we left Cardiff to our return. The only thing was that at times,it was difficult to find somewhere to sit out on deck, especially the pool deck!. The bar staff were fantastic as basically so were all the waiting staff, really helpful and friendly.

A lot has been said in previous reviews about the food on board and I will not comment to much except to say that at times it leaves a lot to be desired!

We never went to see a show as the times they were on need to be sorted out. If you were on 2nd sitting for dinner you had to go and see a show beforehand. It would have been much better to have seen on after dinner as the 1st sitting people had!.

As far as the singers who performed out on deck most days, what can one say, I'll give them 10 out of 10 for effort but basically they were terrible. It would have been better if one on two of them could actually sing in tune.The only one who had a half decent voice was the entertainments manger.

ports of call were very good though as we all know its far cheaper to go off and do your own thing rather than take an excursion, Having said that we did do a couple which due to the heat turned out for us to be a good thing.

Value for money, well yes. If you want first class food and entertainment and loads more activities then CMV is not for you.As in anything in life you get what you paid for. We really liked Marco Polo and hope to saild on her again some time. I understand from talking to a senior officer that she is going to have some sort of refit at the end of next year and that they hope to keep her for a few more years after that before she is "retired". I hope that is the case as I feel there is a very strong market for smaller ships instead of these massive monsters that are now on our seas.

trebor10's Full Rating Summary

Cabin 12 503

Plenty of space, beds OK, tea and coffee making facilites 2 windows so nice and light

Bilbao Old Quarter

Fantatsic visit

View All 7 Bilbao Old Quarter Reviews
Medieval Obidos Walking Tour

to many people visiting at same time

View All 12 Medieval Obidos Walking Tour Reviews