3. Pride of America
My hubby and I decided to go to Hawaii for our 35th wedding anniversary, and for him to have achieved his 50th state. We wanted to see the islands so decided on the Pride of America cruise since we didn't want to cruise from California. We arrived 3 days early and toured around Oahu before boarding the ship. From other reviews, my expectations of the Pride of America were rather low. I was very pleased that it was better than I thought it would be. First of all, I read a lot of reviews indicating the staff was rude, not friendly, and not at the same level as other cruises. We did not find this to be the case, and in fact, found the staff on the POA to be much friendlier and chattier and more helpful than staff on other ships. Food at the Skyline was sub par. We ate there three nights and each night was worse than the previous night. We gave up eating there and ate at the Aloha Cafe buffet three other nights. It had much better food than the Skyline. We ate at Teppanaki for our anniversary. It was incredible. The chef (Ryan) was incredible. Best show at a hibachi style restaurant that we have ever seen. The staff also treated us well for our 35th anniversary serenading us and providing us with a cake. It was all very nice. Most of the entertainment was good. The "O What A Night" production was awesome and the magician was very good. The POA dancers and singers were also very talented. We did have one issue in that our post-transfer to the airport was not showing up on their manifest. We ended up contacting our travel agent and she straightened it out for us. The guest services staff comped us a bottle of wine for our trouble. My hubby did the doors off helicopter ride on the Big Island and enjoyed that tour. That was the only shore excursion that we did through POA. We rented cars in each of the ports and then used the Shaka Guide phone app to tour the islands. The tours were excellent and very worth the small fee for each of the tours. It was a great way to see the islands and much cheaper than doing it through the POA shore excursions. You just need to make sure you give plenty of time to get back, check the car back in, and get back to the ship. We generally gave ourselves 90min buffer. All in all, it was an enjoyable cruise. We didn't do much on the ship during the day as we spent the time touring the islands, so can't comment much on the day time activities.

Great way to see the islands, but expensive!

Pride of America Cruise Review by rockinrl

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

rockinrl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 9606
The cabin was SMALL. The smallest balcony cabin we've had on any ship. There was very little room between the bed and we kept having to step aside to let the other person pass. The balcony was also very small. To use the foot stools which only worked if the chairs were at an angle, it still meant having your feet sticking through the railing.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins