3. Admiralty Dream
WOW OMG... I only have superlatives for this cruise...I cannot begin to thank this company for what turned out to be a truly fantastic voyage (8day Glacier Bay & Island Adventure) From an included airport shuttle and hotel drop-off ( get there a day early to enjoy Juneau) this trips gets off to a great start, with a visit to the Alaskan State Museum and the Mendenhall Glacier after free time (shopping anyone??)in this lovely port city. After boarding the Admiralty Dream ,we were taken to a private island for dinner at the Orca Point Lodge which was incredible in both cuisine and location. Onboard, I found my single cabin #202 to be well-appointed and spacious with two comfy twin beds (which I switched off every night lol) plenty of storage, under bed and in a deep closet, as well as a large picture window allowing for wonderful scenic views. The "shotoilet", as I dubbed the combo toilet and shower, were the epitome of maritime efficiency, stocked with locally made toiletries. All meals provided were culinary delights (thanks chef Eric and galley) starting with early breakfast of freshly baked danishes/pastries at a 24 hour coffee/tea/hot water station, full breakfast, lunch, 3 pm cookie time (which paired nicely with an Alaskan stout), 530 pm hors d'oeuvres, then dinner in a casual setting with picturesque views served by an amazing waitstaff who also doubled as room stewards. (thanks Val!) Complimentary wine/beer provided with dinner featured local brews and vintages from CA/OR/WE...After dinner and those over the top dessert (thanks Sunshine!) you can relax in the lounge with its daily drink special prepared by Brent (spruce tip martini anyone?) using Alaskan spirits, syrups, and themes for reasonable prices as alcohol is not included. Raingear, boots and binoculars provided by the cruise line came in handy for our numerous outdoor excursions...be it above deck, on land or sea. And what fun they were! Paddling 2 person kayaks on gentle Sound waters, DIB rides (inflatable boats) expertly steered by Kevin, took us as close as possible to wildlife, glaciers and waterfalls. Hiking backwoods trails in the forest or a bog allowed us to burn off those calories! The Admiralty Dream's decks and windows allowed for many phenomenal photo-ops and her gracious Captain, Capt. Gavin, allowed us to visit his bridge often. Her size allowed us to visit smaller port towns like Kake, a Tlinglit, and Petersburg, settled by Norwegians, giving us time to truly experience Alaskan cultures and her people. A few brave souls(myself included) took part in a polar plunge of sorts, joining the "killer whale club" by jumping off the back of the boat into those frigid waters...bracing but invigorating! And what an education ADC delivers! Tlingit heritage guides, Gary and William, joined us at Glacier Bay along with a US Park Ranger, Patrick, and together with our resident naturalists, Michelle and Jamie and Sam Sockeye, Tlinglit artisan and guide, they provided thoughtful and insightful lectures on all things Alaska. Glaciers calving, humpback whale watching,sea lion haul-outs, bald eagles galore...even a white wolf made a cameo....the only thing I missed was the Aurora Borealis but not from a lack of trying (and there was a wake-up call for that lol) I highly recommend this cruise line and this trip as a great way to see and appreciate a more intimate Alaska than one can achieve via those big boats (sorry NCL!) I feel truly blessed to be one of the"Lucky 13" passengers meeting wonderful people who really made this the trip of a lifetime for me. Thanks!!

Alaskan Dream cruise truly lives up to its name

Admiralty Dream Cruise Review by debbiedu

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Alaska

debbiedu’s Full Rating Summary

Two twin tempurpedic beds kitty cornered under a large picture window . one bed had three large pull out drawers underneath and the other had space to store luggage and bags. as soon as one entered there was a small (hanger size wide) but deep closet which held necessary lifejackets and provided rain gear and boots with ample room for clothes and shoes The bathroom was a shower/toilet combo with a handheld shower and full-sized toilet and teak floor in the shower area. There were plenty of hooks to hang towels from and clothes line. between bed and bathroom was a small sink with full mirror and outlets. local toiletries were provided as well as a blowdryer. Each bed had a large shelf and reading lamp and binoculars. I found it to be spacious but then again I've been in smaller berths and am also small in stature (5'3) My room was well kept and maintained by my steward, Val.