3. Radiance of the Seas
I liked the value and the itinerary, even though it was very port intensive. The emabarkation in Vancouver was a nightmare! Took 2-3 hrs to get through Canada Place and onto the ship. What a mess! We arrived around 11:30am and there were people still leaving from previous cruise; people walking every which way and staffers having to yell to get the crowds of people to line up their ship (3 ships in port at same time). Absolutely NO signage anywhere directing people to their ship. Don't know if it's the responsilbilty of the Vancouver customs, US Customs, or the 3 cruiselines but it sure was a disaster! Not even any water and lemonade and cookies in the waiting room. Onboard the ship I thought she was ready to go in for dry dock/ refurb but was told she had it done in 2011. The windows everywhere were very streaked and dirty - not very good for viewing all that beautiful nside passage terrain. Saw lots of signs of wear. Wood railings were badly worn in places and needed derious varnish. Even the tables in the schooner bar were filthy around the silver edges - I scraped some of the crud with my fingernail - gross! The stairs areas always smelled of cleaning chemicals. We had an inside cabin that was okay except for the bathroom shower was showing signs of mold/mildew and an small, 4 inch, area of the flooring was torn near the toilet. Some worn spots noted on the wood furniture, but grateful there was a refrigerator. Our attendant was good about replenishing the ice bucket everyday. On their TV channel showing positon of the ship, would have liked to see the local temperature displayed along with the sunrise/sunset times. Our dining experience in MDR was great! We had a wonderful waiter and Asst waiter, Valiton and Kadek (table 513 early seating). Their special attention to our desires made it so very enjoyable to come to dinner every night. The Windjammer was average - still no sugar free gelatin, but they did have gluten free gelatin. Only one sugar-free cookie option, sometimes, and all the cookies seemed to be out too long and were hard/stale. Mornings they had bacon on only on side of one island which made for a line of people at times just for bacon. Overall I thought the food was decent; the foods that were prepared from scratch. There seems to be more pre-made type food choices. Also don't appreciated being bombarded with vendors selling dinners, drinks, etc all along the entrance in the Windjammer. We defintiely miss the old coffeebar now replaced with the DogHouse, which is closed more often than not. Park Cafe is not so convenient for the long lines of people wanting their morning coffee before the Windjammer opens at 7am. Activities were pretty good. Being such a port intensive itinerary, I missed a lot of the usual activity things but on our two sea/galcier days Steve and Margot did offer many choices, some refreshingly new games, contests etc. Didn't use any of the ship's excursions so I can't say anything about them. It seems RCCL is making too many cuts in the little things that separated them from the other cruiselines. I met lots of diamond-and-up cruisers, like us, who miss the little extra touches too. I'm beginning to feel my loyalty ro RCCL fade as the last few cruises on RCCL have not be exceptional or exciting in any way. And it seems there are becoming more pay-to-eat places and less free venues included in our fares. RCCL is not the unique experience it once was. Please bring back those special little touches that made RCCL a cut above the other cruiseliners. I appreciate the perks for Diamond, but would really like the internet acces to be given by the hour rather than one 24 hour block. I like the drinks from 4:30 - 8pm, and the 8x10 photo. But I don't understand why the perks are different than sister ship Celebrity, i.e. the laundry offer.

Radiance not so Radiant

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by englander

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
I liked the value and the itinerary, even though it was very port intensive.

Didn't use any of the ship's excursions so I can't say anything about them.

englander’s Full Rating Summary