I have always wanted to go to Alaska and I considered several lines. To this point I had done 3 cruises with 3 lines so I was open to any line. I'm very pleased with my choice. I think the ship is a good size and it is lovely. On other cruises the public areas were busier but I wasn't spending much time there because I wanted to relax. The ports come early in the day and I don't want to drag myself through the excursion because I was up late. My cabin was VA Veranda on Navigation Deck. The cabin was comfortable and outside of a scavenger hunt that was pretty loud in the corridor I didn't have a noise problem. I spent a lot of time on my Veranda and it was nice with two chairs with foot rests and a small side table. There were signs of wear in the bathroom - patches in the shower walls etc. But it was clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and cozy. My two stewards - Hasan & Intan were wonderful! I did spend a lot of time in my stateroom and so I did see them quite a bit. They immediately called me by name and as I passed them in the corridors they always spoke and asked if my day was going well, did I need anything and so on. I primarily used the MDR and Lido for meals. In MDR I was traveling alone and chose to eat at tables with others except for the final evening. Breakfast once in the MDR - my food was good but two table mates were bothersome. Loud and very critical of everything on the first day. After that I ate breakfast in the Lido - it was open earlier and faster so that I was ready to depart when were were able to disembark. Starboard side first Omelette station was the best I tried - final day it was a different person and it wasn't as good. The Omelette was not fully cooked - but every other one was great. Lunch I was sometimes in Port but occasionally ate lunch in the Lido or Dive-in. Both were good. For Dinner I did prefer the MDR. I was always seated immediately and the room is lovely. I do think it's understaffed. I'm pretty low maintenance but some of my table mates were not and some of the things they requested took time to receive but they did receive what they asked for eventually. In Juneau I went on the last of three excursions to the Mush Camp. I really enjoyed myself. The ride in the training sled was fun - the dogs were amazing - the young people who participate in the process were knowledgeable and personable. You can see how much they enjoy what they are doing. And who can resist Husky Puppy play? This was my only Holland America excursion and it was fun. In Sitka I used an excursion that was not through the cruise line because most things were combos and there was always one thing I didn't want to do with the things I did want to do. But I did hear good things from other passengers about the other excursions. The demographic on the ship seemed older if you spent time in the MDR but there were plenty of young families in the Lido at all times. There was a lovely young couple on their honeymoon at dinner in the MDR one night and I saw a few young families on the second Gala night in the MDR. You had to really look to find children in the MDR they were so well behaved. The Lido was not my choice for dinner most of the time because it was very busy and hard to find a table. I prefer a more relaxed dinner experience so I opted to the MDR unless I was in a hurry. MDR is not your first choice if you are in a hurry and just want to eat. The food at the Lido is mostly very good with a lot of choices for a quick in and out meal. I did not use the 24/7 room service but other passengers were pleased. I do think this should be an eight day cruise though. Ketchikan was raining of course but you get there so early and leave just after noon. I would have preferred being there in the afternoon. The Crab Feast didn't appeal as a morning thing. I did enjoy the town in rain gear but would have done more if we were not leaving around noon. We had to hurry to reach Victoria when we could have had another at sea day and take our time getting to Victoria. I know eight days isn't standard but the distances you're traveling would make it easier. I did opt for the Thermal Suite package but only used it a few times. It's very nice but it's hard to find the right time to go have a steam and use the Hydro Pool. On sea days it's easy but when you've got a decent time in port it was not as convenient as I thought it would be before the cruise. They do offer day passes. Yes - I would go again. I wanted to see Alaska and catch a break from my normal routine and I was able to do just that. If I wanted to party I would have gone on one of the really large ships from other lines that keep you busy all the time. For me vacation is time to kick back and relax without email and "I know you're on vacation but" phone calls. One more thing - Laundry. I can't say enough about the Laundry. I did spring for the unlimited Laundry program and it's wonderful. They don't say that the press everything but I know what those shirts look like when you dry and hang them - they were pressed.

Exactly what I wanted!

DataDivaAtl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Eurodam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VA 8117
Cabin is Starboard side - plenty of storage - very comfortable. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom size was okay. Tub/shower combination and one sink. Lots of hangers. there are two drawers at the foot of the bed and room to store luggage under the bed on the sides behind the drawers.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins