A Great Cruise On a Fantastic Ship: Pacific Princess Cruise Review by Woobstr112G

Pacific Princess 5

A Great Cruise On a Fantastic Ship

Sail Date: May 2017
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Los Angeles
DW and I returned last week from our Panama Canal cruise on the Pacific Princess, This was our 11th cruise in a row on Princess and our 18th cruise overall. It was also our first time on the Pacific Princess which is the line's only small ship. It 30,000 tons and carries only 600 passengers. I must admit that prior to the cruise we had a very nice roll call wherein we all got to know each other while we waited for the voyage to happen.

For our pre-cruise activities, we stayed for two days at the Hilton Doubletree in San Pedro. The hotel was very nice and was right next to a marina. I would highly recommend this hotel for those considering a pre-cruise stay in and around San Pedro. On the first day of our stay, DW relaxed while I walked around the marina taking a bunch of pictures. On the second day, I met a few fellow roll call members for dinner in Long Beach.

On embarkation day, we took advantage of the hotel's free shuttle service for our short ride to More the cruise terminal. Since the Pacific Princess is a small ship, embarkation was a breeze and we were on board in no time,

Our roll call had a Meet & Greet, hosted by a very wonderful lady in her cabin. The event was well attended and was a great way to finally be able to put faces to people we got to know online during the span of our roll call.

I must admit that I was initially was very apprehensive about sailing on a ship so small as it would not be able to offer the amenities of the bigger ships I had previously sailed on. Boy was I wrong as the pacific Princess is now my favorite Princess ship. If I were to list everything single thing that I liked about this beautiful ship, we'd be here all night. Suffice to say, the ship was a culmination of everything that I like about cruising. The dark wood throughout the ship was amazing, It really, to me at least, reminded me about the golden era of ocean cruising. The fact that the ship only hosted 600 passengers meant there were never any lines anywhere. Embarkation and disembarkation were also effortless and without any issues whatsoever. One thing I'd like to specifically mention is was the library. While the library on most of the bigger ships is laughable, the one on this ship is huge and well stocked.

For our voyage, we had an aft (wake view) Owner's Suite 6088. The room had ample space and the balcony was huge, An added bonus, was there was an additional half bathroom right inside the cabin door. Our cabin steward was "Jay" from the Philippines was simply amazing. He took very good care of us during the entire voyage. The only negative regarding the cabin (it didn't bother me) was noticeable vibration when we were sailing at higher speeds.

We had late seating dining in the Club Restaurant. Since the ship is small, there is no ATD. Our waiter Romeo from the Philippines was one of the best waiters I've ever had. His assistant Christopher, also from the Philippines, was also excellent. As far as the food goes, I know it's subjective, I found all offerings to be very good to excellent. One of the highlights of our dining experience was the Matri Di Oscar. This man is fantastic and a definite asset to Princess.

We enjoyed the suite perk of breakfast in Sabatinis. Our waiters Maruis from Romania and Cesar from Mexico were excellent. Cesar was also our waiter for the night we dined in the Grill Restaurant (Sterling's Steakhouse). Service and food in this venue was excellent.

We saw a couple of production shows in the Cabaret Lounge. A special shout out to David Ray Evins who did a Nat King Cole tribute show. This man is simply amazing. During a couple of songs I closed my eyes and swore I was listening to Nat King Cole himself.

As far as shore excursions go, all of our excursions were ship based. In Cabo San Lucas, we had a sailing ship snorkeling excursion that was cancelled due to heavy seas. In San Juan Del Sur Nicaragua we just walked around the area right outside the dock. In Puntarenas Costa Rica we did a Crocodile safari cruise that was quite enjoyable. In Santa Marta Columbia we did a Resort and Folkloric dance show excursion. the dance show was good, but the resort was lacking in a variety of activities. In Aruba we did a snorkeling excursion that was fun and enjoyable.

To end this review, I'd simply like to encourage anyone and everyone to consider booking a cruise on the Pacific Princess. You will not be disappointed. Less

Published 06/13/17

Cabin review: S26088 Owner's Suite with Balcony

Great cabin with the exception of noticeable vibration when sailing at faster speeds.

Read All Owner's Suite with Balcony (S2) Reviews >>