Emerald Princess Cruise Review
1,737 Reviews

Truely a disappointment considering the cost

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by gregrenet

• Sail Date: Apr 2017
  • Destination: Transpacific
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

My wife and I boarded the ship in Sydney on 12 April 2017 and stayed on board for 39 nights doing a back to back to back and disembarking in Vancouver, BC after doing the Alaskan inside passage.

Where to start the cabin was good we had a premium balcony for the first 32 days then moved to a Mini Suite for the last 7 days. Comparing a Balcony to Premium Balcony to Mini Suite the best compromise for cost and space is a Premium Balcony. The Mini Suite was great but does come at a higher cost. My thoughts here is that a slightly bigger shower would really be a better compromise by the cruise lines in allocating space within a cabin.

Back to the cruise our first impressions the Stewards were tired and it showed in their zero to limited initiative, we found this pretty bad.

We had anytime dining which was ok, However we found the buffet better and the Crown Grill awesome. We did two visits to Share which was great and several to Crown.

The first 15 days were good getting to Hawaii, and Tahiti is always a fun place, the cruise to Vancouver via Los Angeles was terrible, a time limited stop in LA was the worst for us as it was our first visit there and one of the ports we were looking forward to.

Next the Casino, when we sail we love heading to the Casino and playing the Slots and table games, well I can tell you these slots would float if they were thrown overboard, tight does not even start. At any rate after we piled heaps of money into the Casino after which we had to ask for free drinks to put this it into perspective my wife had over 24,000 points, with myself getting to over 7500 points. On other princess cruises this equaled a free drinks package but not here we got a dinner then had to say thanks to the host for the bone thrown! When we left no letter for gaming credits for the next cruise just a website that's it ZERO.

The Alaskan cruise was good and the weather perfect, however where there's a will there's Princess to screw something up sure as eggs they did. At Ketchitan Princess decided that one of the largest cruise ship's there should tender while smaller ones docked. There were 5 ships in harbor 3 Princess and 2 Holland America.

This meant not getting off the ship until 2pm and missing a much looked forward to ship excursion. To put this into perspective all the ships docked were owned by Carnival so this is pretty poor planning.

Exiting and re-entering the ship at Vancouver was a 2 hour wait for pre-boarded guests, un-boarded guests had to wait over 4 hours.

Cheap bastards, the coffee cups at the international cafe were changed out so only one small size was available yet you were still charged the as for the larger cups that disappeared. Meaning you were ripped off on the pre-purchased coffee cards.

Finally when I had enough of all this crap I called Princess and asked to be put through to a Manager and was refused by the initial person that answered the phone, talk about poor customer service.

All I can say is if you want to take a Princess Cruise be warned this ship sucked, and yes I have cruised with them before, being Platinum Cruiser. We have only experienced 1 worse cruise than this on the Carnival Spirit. We have also sailed RCA and NCL. This review is a warts and all account I trust you read it as an honest appraisal.

gregrenet's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BA C415 & D324

We started out in Premium Balcony and then moved to a Mini Suite, the cabins were clean and tidy although we had to ask to have sheets changed twice.

gregrenet