3. Diamond Princess
My main reason for selecting this cruise was the itinerary—a chance to experience parts of Asia for the first time. That was certainly the highlight of the trip for me. The cruise itself was enjoyable. I was initially unsure if I had made a wise choice selecting a room right by the elevator and stairs, but I loved it. I rarely heard any noise and it was really handy. I had a room with an obstructed view—it was perfectly fine and I was able to get some decent views. It was all very comfortable and clean – no complaints. I’m not a big fan of the various sales events (jewelry, art, etc)—there seemed to be a lot of that. I did enjoy the port talks and the Japanese lessons. If anything, I wish there was more emphasis on these types of things. I did appreciate some of the local entertainment that was brought on- that was interesting. I didn’t do a lot of the other entertainment but what I saw of the resident singing/dancing crew, I thought they were great. The embarkation/disembarkation was well-organized as were the port visits. The ship was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. I split my dining between the buffet and the dining room. Never had to wait long for a table in the dining room, and while the buffet could be busy it was manageable. The food was pretty good— I really can’t think of a highlight though. My expectations may have been a bit high. All of the ports had fantastic food opportunities though, so I didn’t suffer! I used Princess' excursions for one port’s transportation but otherwise did independent tours. They were all good. I have to mention that particularly in Japan, the locals were so welcoming and kind. We had a fantastic sendoff in Shimizu with a full dock of people waving farewell—as well as a marching band welcoming us in Osaka. It was really sweet. In almost all of the ports, people were very friendly and helpful in the subways and streets—helping with directions and questions. Even with language barriers, people did all they could to help and were very kind. This was a lovely introduction to Asia, and I look forward to returning and spending more time in many of the places we visited.

Enjoyable cruise with a great itinerary

Diamond Princess Cruise Review by Jentilben

• Sail Date: April 2017
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

Jentilben’s Full Rating Summary