Nautica Cruise Review

Nautica Cruise Review by Miss Muffin

• Sail Date: Apr 2017
  • Destination: Africa
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom

I do not have adequate words to describe my first cruise on Oceania.

Our carry on luggage was lost during embarkation and the Oceania staff told us they had searched the ship and could not find it. After hours of aggravation, my partner found the luggage.

I would never set foot on another Oceania ship.

My partner was injured on an Oceania sponsored excursion. We were taken to a third world hospital for treatment. As you can imagine we were less than impressed with the facility and service. The rooms were ill equipped or not equipped at all, there was a total lack of cleanliness, physicial confrontations at the entrance (they gate the front doors), people lying on the dirty floor, old cracked dirty stretchers. I think you get the picture.

For the most part, the Oceania staff were not supportive, nor did they think they had to be accountable for not following their own policies. The accident was a direct result of not following a 'no- wheechair policy' for a night visit to Karnak.

The food in the Toscana was excellent, as was the service. The Polo Grill was terrible. The food was overcooked and the meat was tough as nails. The main dining room and Terrace Grill were mediocre. That is not what I expected on a 'luxury cruise'.

The bridge lessons were enjoyable.

The cruise itinerary was good but the excursions did not live up to my expectations. We were taken to very expensive or inappropriate places for shopping. The guides were pleasant enough but spent too much time justifying their moral/cultural position. I wanted to see all of the spectacular sights and not have the experience tainted by their bias.

We only attended one wine tasting and it was underwhelming. No food paring and the unfortunate young woman leading the tasting was forced to present a corporate slide show (which was boring to say the least). We are enthusiastic oenophiles and usually attend all wine/food events.

Save your sanity and money. Go elsewhere for your cruise vacation.

Miss Muffin's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom
Cabin A2 7078

7078 is one of the smallest cabins we have ever stayed in. The cabins are really dark. I will say our room stewards were wonderful. Olga and Johnny were really supportive and accomodating.

Job's Tomb

The beach was beautiful. It was painfully hot and you had to wear long pants and shirt, hat etc to abide by local custom.

Guide was knowledgeable.

View All 6 Job's Tomb Reviews
Petra Walking Tour

Heat and clothing were again a factor. I really enjoyed Petra- although the hike in and out takes some time.

View All 92 Petra Walking Tour Reviews
Wadi Rum Walking Tour

The Wadi Rum was interesting as well as the Bedouin dinner. The vehicles were less than stellar but we managed to get back in one piece.

View All 14 Wadi Rum Walking Tour Reviews
Karnak Temple

This was a complete disaster. Oceania allowed a wheelchair with a long front extension on the excursion and several people ended up being tripped up by it. It was a 'no wheelchair' excursion. My partner tripped over the wheelchair extension during the night excursion to Karnak and ended up with a head injury. The Oceania staff were not there to assist, emergency staff were not skilled and a third world hospital is not somewhere you expect to be treated (on a luxury cruise)

View All 12 Karnak Temple Reviews
Caesarea Walking Tour

Interesting experience from an historical experience. Some physicial evidence of the existence of Jesus, the crusaders, Romans - especially Herod rule.

View All 1 Caesarea Walking Tour Reviews
Church of the Holy Sepulchre

Very busy. Line up to enter Empty tomb was 'hours' long. There was no hope of seeing it. People were very pushy. Mount Calvary area is very small and people were inappropriate in their quest to touch religious artifacts. Disappointing.

View All 9 Church of the Holy Sepulchre Reviews
Jewish Quarter

Our tour quide spent too much time in this area. It was very commercial.

View All 6 Jewish Quarter Reviews
Western Wall

Wonderful experience. People were reverent when visiting the wailing wall. Truly sprirtual experience and I am not of the Jewish faith.

View All 13 Western Wall Reviews
Apollo's Temple

Ruins were interesting. Vista fantastic.

View All 1 Apollo's Temple Reviews
Rhodes

It was walking distance to the city of Rhodes. The city walls and oceanside are beautiful. The city is lively with many shops and cafes. I look forward to visiting Rhodes again in the future.

Culinary Tour

. Lunch and wine tour to Boutari was disappointing.

View All 4 Culinary Tour Reviews
Oia Village

Oia village was beautiful. I loved the donkeys, shops and view.

View All 255 Oia Village Reviews