3. Norwegian Sun
Had been to Alaska before (Princess) and wanted to go again. Booked this cruise on Norwegian because it was longer then Princess and less expensive. Now I know why its less expensive, because you get less. It starts with boarding in San Francisco, with Princess I arrived at the terminal and basically walked straight on board stopping a couple of times to due check in items with never a line of more the two or three people. Total time to board less then 20 minutes. With Norwegian long lines and a 2 hour check in. Norwegian ask you to select a boarding time prior to the cruise, which I did, when you get to the terminal no attempt is made board passengers at the times they selected, SO WHY ASK. Disembarkation was no better, booked transportation to the airport through Norwegian first day of cruise, but at disembarkation it was totally unorganized. Got off of ship at scheduled time of 9:30AM, used a porter along with another older couple since we had too many bags to handle ourselves. Porter was great took us straight to the bus to the airport, unfortunately bus had just filled up so he took us back to a waiting line. After being moved from one line to another by Norwegian personnel, five times back and forth to the same line we had already been in, they had no idea what they where doing. Finally after 2 hours we where able to board our bus to the airport, barely making our flight. Cabin was typical in size for a outside cabin and clean, cabin attendant did a great job. I have been on several cruises and the one thing I found wrong with the cabin was the closet space, smaller then others I have been in, and a problem when you are on a 14 day cruise. Ship was generally clean and easy to get around, had my bearings in two days and could easily navigate around the ship. Elevators where extremely efficient, never had a long wait, best of any ship I have been on. Smoking areas are limited, two small outside areas and one inside. (Casino when open) This was an Alaskan cruise so when the casino was closed there was NO INSIDE AREAS to smoke, a real problem on a wet cold day, which you tend to have in Alaska. I don't smoke but my companion does, and one of the things that really bothered me was that the outside smoking areas where not cleaned. Tables where not wiped down on any type of a regular basis, I noticed two tables on deck 12 that had the same food stains on consecutive days. Started to do what others where doing, using cloth napkins as place mat on table under my plate. Exactly why is the casino not a smoking area when it is closed, when it is the only inside smoking area. Food and dining was satisfactory, my first impression was that the food quality was better, but after two or three days the lack of variety makes the dining boring. The one breakfast dining area available closes too early, especially when in port. When the dinning rooms are closed the buffet area is too small and becomes overcrowded. Juice choices where very good, and of good quality. Coffee was also good quality.

Totaly average cruise nothing to get excided about

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by blitzo

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Porthole Window

blitzo’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Oceanview Porthole Window
Cabin OG 4005
Cabin was clean and as expected, only problem was closet was too small.
Attended did a excellent job of keeping room clean and made up.
Biscayne Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins