Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by Yeehawblondee

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

We flew into Copenhagen a couple of days early and explored on our own. Love that beautiful city.

We took a taxi to the cruise port at our assigned time and check in was a breeze. We were onboard and at the buffet by 1:30 pm. Our luggage was outside our cabin when we got back from lunch.

I will do our review in sections:

Cabin - we were in cabin 7158. It was dated, but nice. The half sofa was quite stained, but I just put towels on it. The bed was comfy and I brought my own pillow, so I can't comment on the pillows. The balcony is large. It does have an extension that goes out over the lifeboats, but it isn't obstructed in anyway. Our cabin steward was Daisy and we hardly saw her, but our room was always made up and had cute towel animals each night.

Windjammer - if you got there for breakfast around 7:00 - 7:30, it wasn't too crowded and you could always easily find a table. Later than that, and you would have to search a little harder for a table. I thought the food in the Windjammer was really good and there was always something I liked. I used the omelet station almost every morning (because I was there early)

Reflections Dining Room - we were a group of 6 and we always do the traditional set dining time. Our time was 6:00 pm. Our waiters were Mikhail and Reggie and they pampered us. The food was good - but they just don't have the selections they used to. (thus the reason I miss the old days) And you used to get lobster on formal nights, but alas ... now it is offered every night ... for $40 extra!! But the menu choices we made were always delicious.

Shows - we only went to a couple of shows and they were good. We loved Toby and the (somebody) Dogs. Toby is the cruise director, and man he puts on a good 50's - 60's show.

I miss the old midnight grand buffets - especially the ones with the ice sculptures. But, oh well - all the cruise lines have cut them.

Tour Excursions - well organized and on time. No complaints.

STOCKHOLM - I didn't care for our Stockholm tour that much - Old Town and Royal Palace. The Palace is dark and they are renovating about every other room in it - tarps and stuff everywhere (we were informed it won't be done for several years) - But hey, we are the ones that chose that tour.

ESTONIA - we did the Soviet Experience Tour and we loved it. Our friends did the Country and Old Town Tour (I think that's the name) and they loved it. For us, experiencing what it was like during the communist rule was very interesting - and it was also fun because our tour guide had some humorous stories as well. After the tour, we wandered around the Old Town and did some shopping. It was great.

ST. PETERSBURG - we took the Grand St. Petersburg and Hermitage Tour. We really enjoyed it and the Hermitage (Winter Palace) was breathtaking. One thing I didn't care for was that our tour guide was so into the famous paintings there and she spent so much time interpreting what the painter had in mind, that we just blew through the Russian History and Rominov stuff, so she could hurry and get to the next painting. I love art -- but I love history too. The lunch was good and in a neat little restaurant. We also toured St. Isaac's Cathedral. It is so old and so beautiful. I can't believe the communist left that Christian cathedral alone. The Church of Spilt Blood was amazing. (we didn't go inside) All the other photo stops and the shopping stop was well worth it.

HELSINKI - we happened to port on the day of the funeral of the PM of Finland and most everything was closed. Luckily, we had signed up for the Glimpse of Porvoo, which is about 45 minutes out of Helsinki. What a cute little town and all the shops were open.

COPENHAGEN - since our flight was later, we took the Royal Copenhagen w/airport transfer tour. We went to the Little Mermaid (and I mean little) - talk about c r o w d e d!! Then we toured Christianborg Palace and Rosenborg Palace. Loved them.

We just enjoyed this cruise so much.

Yeehawblondee's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin E3 7158

Stockholm Old Town Tour

Old Palace is dark and renovation going on all through it.

View All 54 Stockholm Old Town Tour Reviews

Loved this tour. The tour guide grew up in Estonia under communist rule and has had some interesting experiences.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

Just a photo stop - but beautiful

View All 210 Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood Reviews
Hermitage Museum

Tour guide skipped over Russian History - but was fanatical about the art in the Hermitage.

View All 377 Hermitage Museum Reviews
St. Petersburg

St. Isaacs Cathedral is breathtaking inside and out. Awesome photo stops.

Yeehawblondee