3. Liberty of the Seas
I just got off the ship yesterday morning and can honestly say it was one of the nicer cruises I've ever taken (This was #9 for me, I believe.). The staff was very friendly and I never once encountered anyone who was less than friendly on the trip. Our cabin attendant and waiter and assistant waiter were all excellent. During the boarding process I was worried that this cruise would start off on a very sour note. We had to wait 2 hours to check in, and by the time we were allowed to board all of the special activities were over, all of the food locations closed up, and we immediately had to do the emergency lifeboat drill. On previous cruises, I think the longest we've ever waited was maybe 30-45 minutes. We were never given a clear reason why we had to wait so long, but I hope to never have that experience again. Once we got on board, though, our cabin (8240) was clean, well appointed with lots of storage, decorated nicely, and the balcony was surprisingly large. We loved our attendant, Anita. She couldn't have been any sweeter. The food was very good, and I thought the buffet was excellent. (Probably one of the better ones I've ever seen.) I am also happy to report that the other passengers were not rude at the buffet and seemed to know how to navigate through it politely without some of the other nastiness I've seen on other cruises. There was a wide variety of food and beverages and I can't imagine anyone not finding something to like on it. I did miss having a Coke machine there, though, so that I could fill my own refillable cup through the beverage package I bought. I think the Allure and other RC ships have one. It got a little tiring waiting at bars while the bartenders made complicated mixed drinks for people, and all I wanted was a refill of soda. I got the sense that the bartenders didn't love having to do this, either. We had dinner almost every night in the dining room and I'm embarrassed to say that I've already forgot which one it was. Duh! We cruised with our son and DIL and their 3 kids ages 1, 3, and 5 along with DIL's parents. Our waiters could not have been more accommodating to the needs of the children. Their dinners were always brought out within just a few minutes and the kids really enjoyed the attention that the waiters gave them. My only complaints are the first night there wasn't a lot on the menu that I would eat (since I don't eat seafood) so I ordered a steak salad. I asked the steak to be cooked medium. It was fresh spinach served with sliced rare steak on top, and the dressing was on the meat. I couldn't eat the meat so I gave it to my husband and I ended up eating just spinach with no dressing. It was disappointing to say the least. Because of the children's needs I didn't feel comfortable sending it back to the kitchen----we needed to dine and dash to keep them happy. I ended up going to Sorrento's later for pizza. Another night I also ordered steak and asked for it to be cooked medium and it came out rare. Same scenario as the first night, though at least I could eat some of the side dishes such as potatoes and veggies. I would have been in a lot better shape if I could tolerate seafood! I need to mention that there were A LOT of Texans on this cruise! Wow! I don't know that I'd ever take a cruise out of Galveston again. I don't like to book excursions through cruise ships because I think they're way over priced and I feel like cattle being herded. So, in Cozumel I knew there would be plenty of taxis waiting to take us wherever we wanted to go. We all went to Paradise Beach early and got great beach chairs. The total van cost one way for all 9 of us was $30. If they tell you it's more, tell them you'll find another taxi. The cost at Paradise Beach was $3 per chair and I don't believe they charged us for the children. They also ask that you spend $10 per person on food/beverages. We got tacos from a taco truck that was right next to the pool and they were delicious. The were $3.50 a piece with lots of choices for fillings. Yum! My son ordered nachos and said they were also delicious. Drinks were very good. The pool was huge and really nice. Too bad that everyone decided to rinse off from the ocean in the pool because by the time we left the pool started getting really murky. I blame my fellow passengers for that. All in all, a really nice day! There are a lot of little shops for souvenirs/jewelry/pharmacy items near the ship where the taxis drop off. Next day was Grand Cayman. We didn't realize that we'd get in there later in the morning and would have to take a tender in. We docked around 9:45 maybe? I was in group 8 of people who did not have a shore excursion booked and got to the island by 10:40. I was relieved about that. I walked around town for a little bit to shop and then took a taxi to Sea Grape Beach, which is where Calico Jack's restaurant/bar is located. The taxi ride was $5. The beach was great. Chair rental was $5 and umbrella rental was also another $5. Unfortunately, it was election day and no alcohol was being served so Calico Jack's wasn't open. I was so bummed! However, some locals set up grills and were serving burgers and dogs and BBQ chicken so I was able to get something to eat. The beach is large and clean and can hold a lot of people comfortably. The water is just incredibly beautiful in Grand Cayman! It was a very relaxing day! I think the tender took about 10 minutes to get from shore to ship. (My husband scuba dived (dove?) in Grand Cayman and really enjoyed it!) The last stop was Falmouth, Jamaica. I really don't have anything good to say about that port or Jamaica in general. I've had some bad experiences in the past and promised myself that I would never step foot on the island again. But, I saw what I thought was a familiar shop from my balcony so I decided to venture out to the little shopping village. The shop that I saw turned out to be another huge expensive jewelry store, so I strolled around a little bit. As I was returning to the ship, I entered the building where they screen passengers. There was only 1 door available to go through with a lady standing on the other side, so I smiled at her and walked through expecting to go to the x-ray scanners so they could check for contraband. Well, when I walked past her she started chastising me for doing that and asked me who I thought I was walking past her and ignoring her. As my jaw dropped to the floor, she continued by telling me that I should have known that she'd need to see my sea pass card, but she talked to me in such a nasty rude way that I was just speechless. So, I showed her my card and then she waved me past all the machines and let me go through the building without being checked. It was the weirdest experience and really upset me. When I saw another local security person closer to the ship I was sure to tell her about what had just happened. I told her that in the USA it would have been handled by her saying, "Ma'am, may I see your sea pass card, please?" I never should have gotten off the ship there. Lesson learned. My husband dove there and said it was a very good dive experience. The last 2 days were sea days and they were understandably very busy at the pools. There weren't all that many children on the ship and I'd recommend camping out by the kiddie pool instead of trying to find a place by the adult pools. When I got too hot, there were all kinds of water thingees to walk through to get cooled off. No obnoxious kids were observed! Ha ha! We didn't leave our luggage in the hall the night before disembarkation and took it with us to a lounge and waited to be called off the ship. I think we were called about 8:45 a.m. and it went smoothly with the exception of a problem with a lady in front of us getting stopped when they scanned her sea pass card. My guess is that maybe she still owed a balance on her account. Who knows? That took a few minutes to clear up. The vans to the airport were all waiting for us and we immediately boarded and headed back to Houston. I forgot to mention that the ship was very attractive and had a wonderful display of eclectic artwork. Shows: We saw the cirque-like show the first night and thought it was very good. Definitely not Cirque de Soleil, but quite good stuff for a ship. The comedian was really good, though I don't remember his name. We saw a little of Landry the comedian's show and he was pretty good as well. The ice skating show was also very good. I decided to pass on the Saturday Night Fever show as I was just not in the mood. I would have rather just watched the movie, though our friends really liked it.

Very Nice Cruise!

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by MARTIBINNM

MARTIBINNM’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas price drops

Beautiful clean cabin with large balcony.
  Liberty of the Seas Deck Plans