3. Celebrity Summit
Our first Celebrity cruise. We have been on 25 cruises now With Royal Caribbean, NCL, Hal, but mostly with Carnival. Embarkation went really fast. Arrived at Cape Liberty port just before 1p.m., dropped the bags, parked and was on board in about 20 min. No lines anywhere. Once onboard the cabins were ready, so we were able to drop off our carry on and headed for some lunch. Cabin was fine, a 3rd deck accessible cabin, 3018. Near the front near the elevators, no issues with noise. Cabin steward was somewhat lazy, is all I can think. My wife (because she is not well) has to sleep a significant amount of time. I think he was using this as an excuse to not make up our cabin. Even when we were out of the cabin he would just slip the bulletin under the door and not tidy up. He did up the cabin maybe 3 times during the cruise (not including the embarkation or debarkation day). The thing is we just didn't care. It didn't affect our cruise, it just left a poor impression. We have never seen this sort of thing before. I am not giving him a very good rating on the survey. I have read many comments on the Celebrity threads where people are trying to suggest that X is a cut above, well it isn't always the case. Dining was a bit of a nuisance as well. An early fixed dining time was not available. So when we went on the first evening we were given a pager. It took a little over half an hour to be seated. This doesn't work well for us. They did advise us that we could make reservations. I thought that making reservations for an anytime dining system was redundant, but we didn't have a choice without having to possibly wait every night. So when I asked for the next night, I was told the earliest available time was 8:30 p.m. What I finally understood after asking, was that they would book reservations from 5 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. then they would reserve for times after 8:30 p.m. So you could arrive at 6 p.m.(or later) but if the reservations have filled the restaurant, you would be out of luck. By the way, I did ask about getting an early seating assignment, but there was a wait list for that (no surprise). No problem booking the day before, you would be able to book 5:45. So every morning (they wouldn't allow reservations more than a day in advance) if you call, you would be able to get a 5p.m.,5:15 p.m., 5:30 p.m., or 5:45 p.m. Sounds somewhat like fixed dining to me, the drawback would being that you are required to call every day, the benefit would be that if you couldn't make it at your reserved time, you could arrive at anytime, but would likely have to wait, unless it was after 8:30 p.m. So, not a big deal, just something you might want to know. I imagine if you were on an European sailing where people are more likely to dine later this wouldn't be an issue. The food itself...I know very subjective. I am sorry, I wasn't impressed. It is only the fault of people who praised the cuisine on the Celebrity threads, making it sound like we might be enjoying better choices and taste sensations. Everything was good, but both in the MDR and in the buffet areas, there was nothing that stood out as special, I would say that on the whole,the food preparation, presentation and choices are better on both HAL, and Carnival. I do have to say that I was disappointed with the desert (pastry) choices.There were a number of options that I did feel were better, such as the grill where they would prepare a steak, chicken, pork chops, or fish fillets for you. I did really like their pizza, but I am to cruising to eat a pizza. They had a nice selection of ice cream and cookies, as well as a great selection of teas. The coffee was as bad as any other cruise line. Nice pools and hot tubs available. At busy times there was some chair hogging, but we were always able to find some chairs. The ship was laid out nicely, nice bars and lounges. Store selections were OK, about what you would find on most ships, (including the ominous Park West sales teams). Casino was nice, a bit crowded but had a good selection of table games as well as slots. I am not sure if I understood right but you need cash to play the slots, you can't draw from your account. Put your card in, put your card in, when you are done you get a printed chit like a land based casino. I didn't pay much attention, but it looked like if you wanted to charge your account for funds they were charging 5%, and it looked like you couldn't use your OBC for this purpose. Someone on the Celebrity threads also made the comments about how they don't make too many "announcements" like some other cruise lines. Well what I didn't think of until it happened, those other cruise lines that do make those announcements don't pipe them into the cabins unless they are urgent. I don't know if this is the case on all the ships but it was on the Summit. Wonderful captain Kate liked making her announcements at 10 a.m. immediately followed by the cruise director who would give a rough rundown of the days activities in case you forgot to read them already. Now, a lot of people would think that 10 a.m. isn't too early, but when you have a time change where that 10 a.m. is more like 9 a.m., it is very nice that our captain is up and about, but there is no need to disturb the guests for an announcement that is not even time sensitive. Please, these announcements do not need to be piped into the cabins unless there is an emergency. Entertainment, was varied and good compared to what we have experienced in the past. Some entertainers might not be for everyone's tastes, but there was something for everyone. Bermuda...this was our 3rd. time to this beautiful island and it was a great visit this time as well. The Bermuda threads will give you all the information you would need. Online searches will also show you the many choices you have for activities on the island, as well as shopping and dining. Finally...debarkation. Went pretty well for us...right on time (we were # 6 tags and started getting off the ship at 9 a.m.. I did notice a lot of people doing self debarkation. The area they were waiting wasn't large enough to accommodate all the people. One thing that seemed a little different for us was that the regular dining venues stopped serving food at 8 a.m. So you really get moving early, if you wanted breakfast.

Off to Bermuda again

Nic6318’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Summit price drops

Inside Stateroom 10
Cabin 10 3018
cabin was fine. My only complaint about the location was that it was a long way to the MDR or buffet choices
Deck 3 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins