Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review
1,259 Reviews

Overall great vacation but ....

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Jerseygirl78

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Transpacific
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

The itinerary was perfect. The weather until we sailed to Vancouver was warm and beautiful - and let's face it, sailing to Canada in early May was meant to be chilly. The ship was overall, in good shape. I love the Radiance class ships for the glass/views, and the intimacy. Captain Trym was quite entertaining. The service, in most cases, was stellar. As others have mentioned, I don't like the "nickel and dime" approach RC and other lines are taking to steer you to specialty restaurants, etc. The entertainment was okay - some better than others. The new menu in the MDR leaves something to be desired -- while everything I had tasted good there were nights that nothing really appealed and we resorted to the old standby of a seared salmon filet. I long for the days of old in the MDR, when the food was themed and delicious, and the waiters dressed up.

Unfortunately what turned this from an excellent to a very good vacation was the start and finish at the ports. Both were chaos and I hold RC responsible. I understand that there were issues with the teams doing the inspections in Honolulu, but that doesn't excuse the lack of signs and communication. People with walkers and canes had nowhere to sit in the heat - there was only one bench - when there was more than adequate seating beyond the security screening in an air conditioned area. Those in the venue didn't know where to direct you and it took two hours to get onto the ship. The same nightmare in Vancouver, if you booked one of the tour to airport excursions. The buses were late; we finally sat down on the bus at 10:45 when we should have been on the road two hours earlier. Upon complaint RC did refund 50% of the ticket to me but I felt cheated out of what could have been a great end to a wonderful vacation. It was chaos standing in line waiting on the buses, and again, no signs or communications were available until you made your way right up to the bus.

Would I do this cruise again? Absolutely, And I would change my arrival and departure times and methods based on what I experienced this time.

Jerseygirl78's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin E1 8104

Average size cabin with standard amenities. Cabin showed a little wear and tear. We were two doors from the elevators and Centrum, yet rarely heard any of the action once the doors were shut. The best thing about the cabin was the balcony -- this cabin is on "the hump" and the balcony is almost twice as deep as the typical balcony. I would book this cabin again in a heartbeat!

Jerseygirl78