3. Carnival Sunshine
The ship is not nearly big enough to trap thousands of people for two weeks. There was no entertainment at all. Not even a stage for it. Very small common areas. Had planned to stay on ship during ports that were not handicap friendly, which turned out to be most of them. But the ship maintenance had other ideas. At nearly every port, they painted the ship. The ship's ventilation sucked in the fumes and flooded the cabins and every area with a disgusting oil based paint odor that would burn your eyes. So we were forced to leave the ship. In some cases we could only go to the end of the ramp, because there was nothing else there. We tried a few excursions but most involved local transportation that did not want to waste space on a wheelchair. So we were always treated as though we were a nuisance. In Dominica we wanted to go snorkeling. We called ahead to the travel agent and the tour company to ensure there was access for some one who had trouble walking and was assured it was ok. Turned out to be a steep stairway down the side of a cliff and then a 400 hundred yard walk to a set of boulders where you were supposed to climb over and drop into the water. Needless to say we wound up sitting in the van and waiting for it to be over. Even basic beach excursions were not accessible to handicapped. My wife could walk short distances with a cane, but even this was not enough. In Martinique, we decided to hire a cab to just drive us around the island for a couple of hours, since there were no handicap friendly excursions and due to paint odor. The highlight of that trip was sitting in traffic for 30 min while police cleared a body off the road. Thankfully I fell ill with the norovirus just after the last port and was unconscious for the entire voyage home until debarkation. However I will say the ship's infirmary were no better than the rest of the ship. They continually tried to eject me during the first several hours. While there they had to give me three bags of fluids and multiple doses of medicine just to get me conscious enough to make it back to my room, where I passed out again. My wife is handicapped and they did nothing to help ensure she could make it to the get something to eat. Room service was extremely limited and the food sucked.

Not for Handicapped People or Seniors

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by Senior Cruzer

Senior Cruzer’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8A 7266
Room was a bit smaller than usual. The ship was small to medium size and carried extra passengers due to smaller than usual common areas.
Deck 6 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins