This was a 24 day Cruise. The Cruise started in San Diego through the Panama Canal. There was a choice to disembark in Fort Lauderdale, New York or Boston. I cruised this with my elderly father who uses a rollator walker. We decided on this itinerary because I wanted to see the 9/11 memorial and have always had on my bucket list to sail in and out of the harbor in Manhattan past the Statue of Liberty. We also have family in Pennsylvania we see rarely. This gave us time to visit so we tacked on a 3 day road trip after the Cruise. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and flew to San Diego from SFO On Southwest Airlines. We took the 8:00 flight. We arrived in San Diego at approximately 9:15 a.m collected our luggage, tagged the luggage for the Ship, then proceeded to ground transportation and took the breeze shuttle to the port for $10.00 per person. We arrived at the terminal at approximately 10:15. They allowed us in the terminal but we could not check in. There was a big turnover in Staff in San Diego so we needed to wait till the Staff board the ship. At 10:30 check in went very smoothly. We were given a group number til we were ready to board. At 11:30 they announced that we could board the Ship. They announced that the cabins were not ready but we could go to all the public areas and the Cruise director would announce when the cabins were ready. My dad and I went to the lido. By 1:15 there still was not an announcement made that the cabins were ready. I started asking people in the lido if they had been to there cabin? Several people told me they had gone to their cabin. My dad and I proceeded to our cabin on the Lower Promenade Deck. We arrived at the cabin to find the cabin appeared to be ready. My gallon of distilled water was there for my CPAP machine and beverage card had been delivered. The extension cord for my CPAP had not been delivered yet but sometimes that does not come til later. My father needs a shower stool, which I ordered. I opened the bathroom to find out if the shower stool had been delivered. When I opened the bathroom door I found water coming from the ceiling and all over the floor. My dad called the front desk and they sent the plumber to fix the broken pipes. They cleaned up the mess. Housekeeping came and wet vacuumed the carpet. The head of guest relations came and told us they would need to put a blower in the room to dry the carpet. We figured that. The machine sounded like a jet engine. It took 3 days and two nights to dry. For the inconvienced we were compensated with a Canaletto dinner and onboard credit. Our cabin Steward really worked hard to get our cabin livable and get the mildew smell out. This really made a difference for the rest of our Cruise. We also encountered an A/C problem. They came to check it and gave us a fan which made it more comfortable. The fan was very quite. I have cruised the Maasdam twice before. But the old gal is getting old and showing her age. I last cruised the Maasdam last summer to Alaska and there have been allot of changes. I thought the food was good last summer but I thought the food was better this time. They changed the daily program to Then and There and halfway through the Cruise the name was changed to the navigator. I guess that was changed to correspond with the online version of the navigator. If you have a smart phone you can sign up for the navigator. You can book shore excursions, dinner reservations and view your bill. You can also sign up for the internet package. I signed up for 500 minutes for the 24 days. The internet was slow. I used it do download my email and then log out. The internet was very slow, sometimes it would take as long as 20 minutes. In port I would try and find free Wifi and spend more time and the internet was faster. Most of the time we ate in the dining room. One night it took almost 3 hours. Most nights it took 90 minutes. They did not show movies during the day and would show them at night. On the nights we would want to see the movie we ate in the Lido. I found I ate less in the lido and it would only take 45 minutes. It was easier for my father to eat in the dining room but some times the schedule didn't work out. The schedule of events were very weird. Between San Diego and Fort Lauderdale there were 8 sea days and they played bingo only 3 times and win a Cruise bingo the last sea day before Fort Lauderdale. The person running the bingo was usually late in showing up. Entertainment was hit and miss. I only went to a few of the production shows and they were OK. One entertainer I really enjoyed was a flutist. I spent time playing in the Casino. That has definitely improved since last year. The Casino host Robi made it fun. I have never played in a black jack tournament before. I ended up pacing fourth. I now have a very expensive tee shirt. Ports Puerta Vallarta - I have been there many times before so I just walked around and went to Wahlmart to pick up supplies that I didn't have enough room to pack for a 24 day Cruise. Manzillo - Took a Turtle Farm tour through Hal and after the turtle farm we had a lite lunch and walked around the beach area. Hualtucco - I took a Land and Sea Tour from HAL. Went out to several Bays and then boarded a bus to go around the area. Puerta Chippas - Took a tour through Hal Chocalate tour and Izapa Ruins. This was quite interesting. The tour guide took us through the market place where you could really feel the culture. We saw a folklore show. Then they should how the cocoa is turned into chocolate. We got to taste some. I purchased some but t was stale when I got home. It might have been stale when I bought it. Then we were off to the ruins Guatemala - Took the Shuttle over to the vendor area to a cafe with free wifi. Then did some shopping. Guatemala has beautiful things. almost wiped out my small bills here. I had enough left to tip the bus driver. Nigaregua- Took a tour of live traditions of Nigaregua. We went to a city into a Cathedral then drove through the market place. Went to a property where we saw a folklore show ate tortillas and beans and banana chips. Then saw pottery being made. Drove through a horse breeding farm where there were beautiful horses. We were getting reading to sail when the captain came on and announced that we had two passengers who had not returned to the Ship and the nigaregua would not release the Ship til they returned. The captain sent out security looking for them and found them in a bar. We were an hour late leaving. I guess they found them fast. Never found out what happened to them afterwards. The captain did announce the same couple had been late boarding in Puerta Vallarta. Costa Rica. I took a tour to San Jose which was beautiful but for the length of the tour we could not see much. Panama Canal. What can I say Awesme! Aruba- I took a countryside tour that was arranged by our Cruise Critic Roll Call. This is also a great beach and snorkeling place. Cuaracao - Took. A Hal Tour around nod the island. Toured the slave house. It was very interesting. Also went to different beaches on each side of the island. One was very windy and the other was mild clear and light blue great for snorkeling. Once we got back to the Ship I was going to go across the way and due some shopping but the heat really got to me. Fort Lauderdale - This was a lazy day. We needed to get off the Ship for immigration and could not get back on until everyone had been through immigration. The sail away was beautiful. Here I was surprised, that they did not board new passengers for a repositioning to Montreal. The Ship was minus 600 passengers til we reached New York. New York -Gorgeous view sailing into the harbor viewing the statue of Liberty. Took a panoramic Tour that HAL offered. The tour stopped at Rockefeller Center and the 9/11 Memorial. The day we were there there was someone who drove up on the sidewalk for three blocks in Times Square,killed one person and injured 22. It happened 20 minutes after we passed through Times Square. So traffic was a bear getting back to the Ship because they closed the whole area down. We lost 200 passengers in NYC and gained 400. The night before disembarkation we got a letter in our stateroom that the Ship heard at the last minute that all passengers disembarking in Boston needed to go through immigration again. No one would be able to get off the Ship til all disembarking passengers. We had to report. At the wayang Theatre at 7:50. Immigration didn't show up til about 8:15. Everyone showed up so they started disembarking at 9:00. Disembarking seemed to go OK til we got to n the terminal where there was chaos. We were in the 2nd group because we were taking a tour and transfer to the Airport to Rent a car to visit family in the Poconos. We then flew home to California from EWR. This was a great Cruise. The longest I have ever done. The service was outstanding. I like be the Maasdam but she is getting old and she has many caretakers.

Panama Canal Cruise San Diego to Boston

Maasdam Cruise Review by liketraveling

Ports

Panama Canal. What can I say Awesme!

We lost 200 passengers in NYC and gained 400.

We then flew home to California from EWR.

I like be the Maasdam but she is getting old and she has many caretakers.
liketraveling’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Maasdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin H 378
Rooming. Wide enough for my father to get his rolling walker through the door. A place to store it in the cabin and plenty of storage place. We did not bring many clothes because my father is a 4 star and we get free laundry.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins