Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review

A relaxing cruise down the Mississippi

Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review by sungoddess

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: North America River

I just returned from a wonderful cruise onboard ACL's Queen of the Mississippi. We sailed from New Orleans to Memphis and were blessed with outstanding weather for 6 of the 7 days.

I was travelling with my dad and was about 30 years younger than all of the passengers, but I still had a great time. This is a VERY relaxing cruise- there are no nightclubs or casinos and the evening show ends around 9pm. I found this to be a nice change of pace from every other cruise I have been on; I loved sitting on the top deck with a glass of wine and a book and watching the world pass by.

Our balcony cabin was much larger than I expected and the bathroom was huge. The bathroom was stocked with lots of nice amenities, which were replenished daily. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the cabin, which was a nice touch. The balcony was a good size and there was plenty of storage in the cabin. Our cabin was 315, which was right next to the stairs, but I didn't hear any noise throughout the cruise.

Food: I usually cruise on luxury lines and have been spoiled by the food on Crystal, however, ACL didn't disappoint. I thought the food was very tasty; it is regionally inspired, so we saw a lot of Cajun offerings. My dad isn't a big fan of Cajun food, so he could request something else, like a cheeseburger, and the chef would prepare it for him. They were very accommodating with special requests and dietary needs. Wine and beer flowed freely at lunch a dinner.

Cocktail hour was from 5:30-6:30pm each night in the main lounge. This was a fun way to get to know the other passengers and talk about what went on during the day. During this hour, it was an open bar and our cruise kept the bartenders very busy. :)

Tours: I did the city tours in Baton Rouge and Memphis and my dad did the military tour in Vicksburg. We thought the tours were well planned out and everyone seemed to enjoy them.

Service: The service onboard was great. Captain Robert Hopkins was very friendly and interacted well with the passengers. Patrick, the Hotel Director was awesome, as was Christopher, who was training. The Cruise Staff were all very friendly and did a great job. DeMarus, in Housekeeping, was also the bartender at night and kept my glass full and remembered that my dad liked 2 cherries in his drink.

Entertainment: Honestly, I was surprised at how good the entertainment was. I think most cruise ship entertainment is cheesy, but these were mostly local artists and whoever found them did a great job. The comedian was hilarious and the musical acts were very entertaining.

All in all, this was a great trip and one that I will remember with my dad for a lifetime.

sungoddess's Full Rating Summary

Cabin AAL 315

Very large with a huge bathroom. Lots of storage space.

sungoddess