3. Amsterdam
I chose this cruise because we had never been to Alaska before and my husband had never been on a cruise. After careful research we decided on the Amsterdam as it is a smaller ship and can maneuver some of the tight canals and get closer to the Glaciers than the larger ships can. They did not disappoint. The service and hospitality were first class and many friends were made onboard. The crew were all cheerful and friendly and the food was great. We also appreciated the fact that because of the ships size it didn't take more than 5 minutes to walk from one end of the ship to the other. Many high speed elevators always at the ready. Each port we visited were conveniently located and the tours were nicely arranged. We had purchased several different HAL tours from the internet before cruising and all of our tickets and information were waiting for us in our stateroom upon arrival. Seamless. Our favorite tour was the Wildlife Explorer trip in Sitka where we saw several Whales, Otters, Bears and tons of Bald Eagles. We can't wait to take our next cruise with HAL and are looking in to the Meditteranean routes now.

Simply Awesome!

JackieLee’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Amsterdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin EE 1956
Clean, spacious, beds were heavenly, plenty of storage, large bathroom and our room stewards , Irwan & Tri were outstanding.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Mendenhall Glacier
    Beautiful area to explore. I would have given it 5 stars but our bus driver, Jerry, was like listening to a bad lounge act. We prayed for silence.
    View All 888 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Trolley Tour
    Incredibly short and boring. I found that many of the tour guides repeat the same schtick and attempt to present their stories as their own. I appreciate the history behind the Totems but once you've seen one, you've seen them all.
    View All 30 Trolley Tour Reviews
  • Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest
    One of the mot awesome experiences of my life. Crew was friendly and knowledgeable, we saw many Eagles, Otters, Bears & Whales. The crew got a tip and took us to see something rarely seen before. We traveled back in to a cove and saw a ring of bubbles starting to form on the surface of the water. Shortly thereafter, a Whale lurched up through the center of the ring with his mouth open. This is called a "Bubble Net" where the Whale traps the fish inside of the bubbles and then captures them all in his mouth. We watched as this happened a dozen times. I'll never forget it.
    View All 68 Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest Reviews