3. Crystal Serenity
I chose this cruise because of the itinerary - visiting places I had not visited before in the Caribbean. This was my first time sailing on Crystal Serenity and the ship was as elegant and well appointed as I expected. I did not feel as comfortable with its size, however, though this is no fault of the ship. I prefer the size and guest number of Crystal Symphony. The embarkation was not as quick and trouble-free as my previous two. This sailing did not have a pre-cruise hotel program and so the air/sea program flew me in on the morning of embarkation, which made for a long day. Upon arrival at the cruise terminal we had to wait an hour to be allowed to board, and we were not given any information as to why we could not upon arrival. Upon embarkation things settled down, with the service from the crew being lovely as I have experienced before. My cabin was well appointed and even though I do get motion-sickness the majority of the cruise caused me no discomfort, it being between two decks with staterooms and near the middle of the ship. The exception was one particular night when the waves were very high and the wind was fierce, which made it necessary for me to take medication for motion sickness. One thing I did not expect was the the wind making it very uncomfortable going out on the balcony. The few times I was able to utilize it I had to hold down the items brought by room service. In addition, I noticed some wear and tear on the balcony bulkheads, which surprised me, as Crystal Symphony was immaculately kept from what I could see on my sailings aboard that vessel. The dining was, as always, wonderful. The service and cuisine in the main dining room were such that I almost did not want to dine in the specialty restaurants, though I did. The dining at Silk Road was superb - the lobster and shrimp tempura were wonderful. The mushroom soup served at Prego was delicious. I did have lunch at Tastes one afternoon, and was very impressed with the stir-fried dish I ordered. On one occasion at breakfast at the Lido Cafe a large flock of pelicans flew by the ship - it was splendid to see the birds in flight, not to mention surprising. The shore excursions were very well staffed and fascinating. I visited three different archaeological sites and an incredibly beautiful cenote. The guides were well informed, as I expected, and very humorous. The only complaint I can make regarding two of the excursions was that they were too rushed. We visited multiple sites on each excursion and, because of the distances traveled, did not get enough time at each site due to having to return to the ship for departure to the next port. I chose the volunteer excursion on this itinerary and was very satisfied with the amount of hands-on work we were able to do while at the site, a soup kitchen for the elderly. We did everything from washing dishes to calling out a bingo game for the residents to singing with them. On this itinerary I did not attend many activities on board, as I preferred to take advantage of the sun and beautiful weather, coming from a city that was experiencing temperatures a few degrees above zero at the time of the cruise. I did attend one of the Broadway shows and it was very enjoyable, though I did feel that though the performers were professionals, they did not appear to me to be as engaged as those who work on Crystal Symphony. Regardless, they were great performers and very entertaining. Disembarkation was very straight forward with no hiccups. Just a few points: I did not attend any movies in the Hollywood Theater as the viewings were very scarce and not very interesting, at least to me. As I mentioned the wait at the cruise terminal, after my horribly early flight to get to Miami, was very taxing. Not knowing what the delay in embarkation was about made it seem longer. I feel it would have helped to make it less tiring if we had been informed why we were waiting to be allowed to board. Needless to say, I look forward to my next cruise with Crystal next year.

Sailing with Crystal is always lovely.

Crystal Serenity Cruise Review by PerpetuallyCcuising

• Sail Date: January 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah

Disembarkation was very straight forward with no hiccups.

Needless to say, I look forward to my next cruise with Crystal next year.
PerpetuallyCcuising’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crystal Serenity price drops

• Belize City
    We drove to the facility which served meals to the elderly. Our group was split into two, with some going with the staff to deliver food to inhabitants who could not travel to the site and the other interacting with the soup kitchen inhabitants. We worked with both the staff preparing and serving lunch to the elderly present, as well as calling out bingo names, which we were told they liked. We had a singing round as well. Some of us worked washed dishes and helped with minimal cooking. It was wonderful to be doing something concrete and chatting and sharing with the community was gratifying. Seeing them smile was wonderful.
    View All 13,036 Belize City Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Belize City Cruise Port Review
  • Dzibanche Ruins
    The ruins at Dzibanche were fascinating - we were allowed to climb onto some of the pyramids, wich was not the case at Tulum. It was very quiet and almost deserted, wich was completely different than at Tulum, which was super-crowded and where you could not enter the structures.
    View All 17 Dzibanche Ruins Reviews
  • Mayan Ruins
    The ruins at Kohunlich were magnificent - very quiet and immaculately kept. We were also able to climb some of the temples. The guide was very knowledgeable about the material.
    View All 140 Mayan Ruins Reviews
  • Tulum
    We visited two different sites on this excursion - the ruins of Tulum and the cenote at Xel Ha Park. Both sites were splendid. The only problem for me was that the sites are so huge and the distance between them made the visits rushed. They should be split into two separate longer excursions.