3. Oasis of the Seas
We booked a Junior Balcony Suite on Oasis. I'm an introvert so the only way I'll cruise with my husband is if I have a quiet suites-only restaurant and a quiet ocean view balcony. This helps me not get overwhelmed by people. For the last 10 years, it's worked. Until... Before we left, RCL called and offered us an upgrade to a Loft Suite for $800. The rep said it was an amazing deal, beautiful suite, we'd love it. He said other reps were calling other passengers with the same offer so we had to hurry. We asked if it was still an ocean view. He said yes. We took it. We got to the ship. Oh. My. God. This suite - #1736 - was RIGHT BEHIND the sports deck. The view was of the basketball court. The "ocean view" was a sliver of water over the top of the basketball court, the FloRider, the AquaTheater, about half a football field back. People played basketball from dawn to 11 p.m. right outside our window every day. We had no privacy and had to keep the curtains closed. There were constant announcements from the sports court and zip line. It was so loud. There was norovirus outbreak so maintenance workers were out between 3 and 4 a.m. yelling and using power washers every morning. Smoke from the stack (right above us) blew right onto our deck and into the room if we opened the door. Now I know why they were trying to unload this room cheap. We had other problems, our on board promo credit for the 100 hour sale never showed up and the concierge said she couldn't do anything about it. The TV that goes into the ceiling right over the bed would fall in the middle of the night and the attendant said it couldn't be fixed. There was velcro EVERYWHERE holding drawers and sliding closet doors shut because this suite gets so much vibration. As soon as we got on board the suites-only restaurant was booked solid. There were always people 50+ deep at Guest Services. We called Customer Service as soon as we got back asked for a refund of the upgrade fee. They said we should have resolved it on board according to company policy. I asked if that was a written policy. She said "No, it's just normal. If you've really been cruising on RCL for 10 years you would just know that." She literally said those exact words. We *really have* been sailing RCL for 10 years (we have the tens of thousands of dollars in receipts to prove it). We are great tippers. We never complain. We make our own bed. We're nice, happy, loyal cruisers. I can't believe RCL took advantage of us and treated us this way. Incidentally, I filed a complaint with the BBB and noticed that RCL gets three stars and Disney gets great reviews. Hope that helps you make a decision. Now, about Oasis: Good stuff: Service was great. Super friendly. Liked the suites-only sun deck, which became important when I couldn't use my own balcony. Loved the wine and tapas bar. Ports have clearly improved. Up to you if it's bad stuff: With this ship, RCL is clearly vying for Disney dollars. It's gaudy as heck and clearly aimed at little kids and young families. Everything points inward instead of at the ocean and the view. Oasis is not a ship for adults or people who want to relax. It's constantly "on" 24x7, it's loud, it's huge, and there are so many people (6,500) that there are lines everywhere, for everything. (I felt bad for the little ones who had to stand in line for everything they wanted to do. They got tired. They melted down. Parents once drawn to "so much to do" regretted how far they had to walk their littles to everything.) The ship is an engineering marvel, but it's more like a constant party (not a drunk party - more like a forced carnival party) 24x7. If you enjoy drinking and gambling, this is for you. If you like looking at the ocean and relaxing, you're out of luck - there are no shady, quiet places to get away on this ship. It's 100% about sports activities, shows, and little kids. I will also say because the ship is so tall it catches more wind. It definitely moves around more than other ships and I saw more people seasick on this boat than any other I've been on in 10 years. Also, with 6,500 people, norovirus risk increases, and surprise! There was an outbreak. Oh, and they started charging $8.00 for room service, even in suites. EVERYTHING had an up charge. Crazy.

Upgrade Nightmare + More is not More

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by WordBird

Now I know why they were trying to unload this room cheap.

Now, about Oasis:

Up to you if it's bad stuff:

WordBird’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Crown Loft Suite
Cabin L2 1736
Right behind basketball court. No view. Loud. Smoke blows down from stacks. Velcro holds drawers and doors shut because it's on the very top floors and rocks and vibrates constantly. Creaks in the wind and underway. Stairway lights won't turn off at night so people don't fall down the stairs, bedroom is never dark. Two bathrooms were nice but literally I would have rather spent the week in my garage than in this cabin.
Deck 18 Suite Cabins