Nautica Cruise Review

Terrific Asian ports, Superb Food, and Top Notch Service

Nautica Cruise Review by Prairiewoman

• Sail Date: Mar 2017
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View (obstructed view)

I chose this cruise because of the ports it would visit and the extras included in the OLife Choice, which for us included airfare, 8 shore excursions (four for each of us) and unlimited wifi (one login which we shared on all devices). We liked that the smaller ship could dock in places the larger ones can't, like right in Bangkok at Klong Toey, and the range of shore excursions offered. We asked their air department to fly us into Bangkok several days early so we could see more of the city and visit family there.

While in Bangkok, after the first night on board, while I was on a shore excursion, my wallet was stolen and inside it was my passport with visas. I discovered it was missing when I got back on board (with my ship card) and went to turn in my passport. This was close to sailing time, and the purser tried calling everywhere we had been and our guide, in hopes of finding it, with no luck. I had a few minutes to pack what I needed and was escorted off the ship and it sailed without me. My husband remained on board, which was the wise choice we we learned.

Oceania's port agent called a driver for me and made a reservation at a hotel. Then it was up to me, and luckily, my brother who lived in Thailand came to help me. I had the impression that neither those on the ship nor at Oceania's offices thought I would be able to rejoin the ship due to the loss of my Indian visa, but they stayed with me via phone and email, and I was able to get my documents replaced and fly to Phuket to reboard the ship and finish the cruise. I was most grateful for the excellent communication that helped make it possible.

SO glad I didn't miss the rest of the cruise (though sorry to miss Ko Samui and Singapore). It was so interesting to see the differences in the large, well-developed cities of Bangkok and Mumbai on either end of the cruise and the just-opening-to-tourism areas in Myanmar. We marveled at the magnificent architecture of temples and pagodas. I think I took nearly 3000 photos.

I also very much appreciated the interesting lectures on board, as well as the local entertainment that Nautica brought on board in several ports. The food was terrific and our cabin service was excellent.

If you are looking for a large ship with big production shows this isn't going to be your ship, but if you like more intimate entertainment and great food on an interesting itinerary, I'd recommend it. This line seems to attract primarily retired people, and we fit right in,

Prairiewoman's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View (obstructed view)
Cabin E 6045

This cabin was a bit unusual as it was arranged "sideways." When you enter most cabins, you are looking toward the farthest wall. This cabin was turned to parallel the length of the ship. It was well-designed and had a surprising amount of storage space. The issues I noticed were that you couldn't open the bathroom door and one of the closet doors at the same time and the bathroom was cramped but adequate. The bed was very comfortable. It's nice that the mineral water and sodas in the fridge are included and you can use them without paying extra.

Prairiewoman