3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
We decided to return from Europe via the QMII since it was leaving just days after we left our Western Mediterranean Cruise and left from the port where we disembarked. The ship is impressive, very lovely. We enjoyed the lecturers and the music on board. Our cabin was well appointed. Our cabin steward was helpful and prompt as we have come to expect on other lines. Both the departure and arrival were what was expected and our transfer to the airport in NY was fine. I was unprepared for the less than excellent food. We ate at the late seating each evening. The choices were limited -- usually 2 or 3 vegetarian dishes which we are not, 1 or 2 meat entrees, 1 fish. Only once did I get fish that was not overcooked. I had a chicken dish served with what tasted like a beef based sauce. The barley soup had exactly 5 grains of barley! I had a lemon pie which totally was without lemon flavoring, and a key lime pie without the flavor of lime. Everything was bland and lacking in flavor. Our server seemed to resent being requested to bring coffee with dessert instead of after. When we went to the buffet trying to get some cheese, I could not find any cheddar and was told there was none available. I found this interesting in a British ship. The soups available for lunch in the buffet seemed to all have the same base, no flavor at all. One afternoon I was walking around the public areas and heard a harpist playing in one of the bars which was mainly empty. As I approached the bar to try to get a seat and listen, I was told I could not come in without purchasing a drink. Since I do not drink, I declined and left. Before this trip my husband and I had discussed taking one of the Cunard lines again when we go back to England, but we will look for other lines.

Disappointed in what is supposed to be a luxury ship

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by FLEXWARE