3. Amsterdam
This was a great way to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Everything was perfect and we would highly recommend this trip on Holland America. We were blessed with good weather overall (some rain in Juneau and 1 rough night). We could have used more port time to explore. The Amsterdam was fantastic. What a beautiful ship. The crew was so friendly and hardworking. I was constantly seeing someone cleaning. I swear I'd leave my room for a few minutes and when I came back that toilet paper triangle was back in place. Ha! We also enjoyed the cruise director and the shows. Justin Flom, the illusionist, was fantastic. We also enjoyed their movie theater with the buttered popcorn. There was more to do than we had time for on the ship. Also loved the Adagio Strings and their classical music. We overpacked, but there was plenty of room in our cabin. My husband didn't want to pack a suit, so we rented a tux through the cruise. It was not waiting in the room upon arrival as promised, but was there by that first evening and fit perfectly. The suspenders were missing, but brought to our room later. We were surprised that there were not more men wearing tuxes. "Formal" was not as formal as we expected, but that was fine. Dining - We did the "as you wish" option and it worked out great. We never had to wait to be seated and several times we did make reservations. We enjoyed meeting new people all the time. The food was wonderful. At first I chose the spa cuisine options because I was trying to be good and not gain weight, but then I just decided to have fun. YUM! I only gained 2 lbs - woo hoo! We went to the Pinnacle on one of the formal nights. My husband didn't see why we needed to go there (costs extra), but afterwards he wanted to go again. The steak he had was one of the best we've tasted. The Pinnacle was more intimate and the experience more special. We usually did lunch at the Lido nice buffet. Food seemed a bit salty to me, but good. Enjoyed my lattes in the Explorer Lounge. High teas were nice. Hubby didn't want to go until the tea with the cupcakes! Gym - Nice area. Never had to wait to use bicycles or treadmill. Wished I would have tried the Pilates class. We also did the 5K On Deck for the Cure. It got a bit windy, but we actually did closer to 10K. Hubbard Glacier - what an awesome sight! The captain did a great job of getting us close and turning the ship around to let both sides have some time to enjoy it from the verandahs. The sun was shining. It was a wonderful day. I actually was sad on our last day of sailing knowing that all that pampering was coming to an end. We look forward to sailing again with Holland.

DID NOT WANT CRUISE TO END!

Amsterdam Cruise Review by oregon95

• Sail Date: August 2009
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite with Verandah
oregon95’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Amsterdam price drops

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin A 6162
Plenty of closet/drawer space. Comfy bed. Decent seating area. Nice verandah, especially nice when viewing Hubbard Glacier. Really liked make-up mirror and vanity area in the seating area. They provided an extra hairdryer to use there as well. Above the casino could slightly hear some machines, but never when it was time to go to sleep. Midship, quiet area not far from stairs/elevator. Motion did not bother us on our one rough night.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Juneau
    A bit rainy, but not bad. Went to Mendenhall Gardens and Glacier. Could have done without the gardens, but really enjoyed the glacier. Took the tram good views, but trails pretty wet and muddy, so didn't do as much hiking as would have liked.
    View All 1,470 Juneau Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Juneau Cruise Port Review
  • Ketchikan
    Not enough time in this port. Would have liked to take more time to explore. We took the trolley. Our driver was very good. He seemed to be very knowledgeable. We enjoyed going to Saxman and seeing the totem poles, as well as hearing the stories that went along with them. A cool town!
    View All 1,685 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
  • Sitka
    Good weather, pretty scenery. Took Sea Otter and Wildlife cruise. The only time I felt a little seasick despite wearing patch. Crew said to let them know if we felt seasick. I did and they gave me some type of ginger chew which worked pretty quickly. Naturalist on board was very informative. Crew did a great job of being on the lookout for wildlife. We ended up seeing a whale, deer, many sea otters, and many eagles. Crew gave out snacks and drinks. We had a great time. Had to use tenders to get to/from town which was no problem at all. Enjoyed walking around and met some nice locals.
    View All 315 Sitka Cruise Port Reviews