3. Navigator of the Seas
Keep in mind that this is just my second cruise and I am not exactly a "cruise person." The idea of taking multiple cruises every year makes no sense to me at all. Anyway, we signed up for this "repositioning cruise" because the initial price was low and because the idea of crossing the Atlantic seemed like a good one. Sailing-wise, things started out fine, but the last three or so days at sea out of Miami were VERY rough, and this is a ship that does not have the same level of stabilizing as some of the newer and larger ships out there. Plus the weather was kind of cold and super-windy. All the crew folks I interacted with-- waiters and bartenders-- were great. My favorite people to chat with by far were these folks who tend to have some really interesting stories about life on the ship, about where they are from etc. Maybe I'm a food snob, but I thought the offerings in the Windjammer cafeteria were kind of so-so and the main dining room was very mixed (some nights, great; others, not so much). We got 4 of the speciality restaurant meals. Chops Grill (if you like a good steak) and Izumi (if you like sushi and related Japanese dishes) were very good and worth the extra charge; Giovanni's was not very good (stick with the pasta if you go) and Sabor was just downright bad. We saw a couple of good to okay shows-- the ice skating stuff was surprisingly good and we saw a very funny juggler/comedian dude. My wife and I enjoyed the "Mystery Dinner" too. We "entertained" ourselves too much in the casino and the bars, which was good though being at sea for so long meant we spent too much money in those places. I think the best ports of call were the Azores and Lisbon. In the Azores, we took a shore excursion to the "crater lakes" of the main island and it was unbelievably beautiful. I'd love to go back there for a week to hike around and take in the small island charm of it all. Lisbon was so interesting and lovely too-- another place to visit for longer. Vigo was kind of boring as was A Courna, though we did visit Hercules' Tower on our own and enjoyed that a lot. La Havre was okay; a lot of people take a day-trip to Paris, but the idea of getting on a bus for a couple of hours each way to spend just a couple of hours in Paris seemed silly. And we also took a shore excursion at the end in Southampton to Stonehenge because it combined a trip through the English countryside to "the stones" (very cool) and then to the airport, and it costs about the same as just a trip to the airport. Would I do it again? Not the same itinerary (I'd want to see different places) and I'm not ready to make it an annual event, but hypothetically, I would do the right trip at the right time again. It's not nearly as cheap as advertised, but it is still a pretty decent deal. And the next time around, I'd have a better idea about what I was actually getting myself into here.

14 Days is a LONG Time....

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by GrumpyCruisePants

GrumpyCruisePants’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas price drops

On the plus-side, it was a good-sized room, especially for 2 (I think the couch could have accommodated a third person, particularly a child) and we really liked the window view. I didn't feel like I missed out on not having a balcony, especially going across the Atlantic in kind of sketchy weather. On the minus-side, the room was at the front of the ship which I do think was quite a bit more bumpy than something more in the middle or in the back.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans