3. Norwegian Epic
We chose this cruise for the sites it stopped at and the price, as well as the lack of conflicts with our schedule. This was our second cruise, and we liked our first one better, but at the same time, what's not to like about most cruises? We stayed interior this time, pros and cons to each type of room. we embarked and disembarked very smoothly, (no checked baggage! just carryon! man i'm traveling like that from now on) and their process did seem more simple than other companies we've cruised with before. Dining was fine. Again, what's not to like about free food? We didn't ever venture down into the Manhattan Room or Taste, so I won't comment on those. The steakhouse was par, nothing great. I wouldn't have been super thrilled go pay extra to eat there. Sushi was decent. The teppanyaki was better. The chefs really ham it up--more than I'm used to-- not sure if I like that or not. Best part of the cruise food-wise was the ice cream machine and pizza late at night. For me, the devil's in the details. And there were dozens of opportunities for the details to be taken care of that weren't (for me. Maybe I'm spoiled, and cruising is already such a luxurious way to travel). Just lots of little things. The housekeeping staff had their stuff out in halls all day long. Makes sense, but still, you lose some of the magic. Never saw the cruise director out and about. Our previous cruise (full disclosure, Regal Princess - wow) had the cruise director out before and after every show - on the tv doing activities, heck even selling me cariloha bedsheets, but I got to know the guy. Martin. Grew up in Wales. I dunno there wasn't as strong a connection. The layout of the ship felt like there was some wasted space. Interior room folks want a spot they can see the water from, and Epic doesn't have that outside the lido deck. would have like to have seen more movies out on that big video screen in back. Service staff didn't fill up waters (is it cuz they're free...? sorry I didn't get a 600 dollar drink package...) And all around seemed to lack a crispness and spring in their step that I saw with Princess. They nickel and dime you. Every free place you go, there are upcharge options that make it feel like a 'freemium' app, which actually makes the whole experience feel cheaper. Even at the cover charge places where it's all free after the cover charge (teppanyaki) there's a 10 dollar drink you can get. I get it, they only make money once you're on the boat. I'll pay a couple hundred more dollars to not have to be advertised to every second. I'm trying to imagine disneyland where you pay to get into the park, then pay to ride each ride. We don't drink, so the 40 bucks we would have dropped on the ice bar got spent somewhere else. it would have been fun, but welcome to the free market right? ports and buses and trains aren't as scary as I thought they would be. Just have euros ready to take the shuttles and stuff. Man, I'd really consider skipping the shuttle in Civitavecchia. just walk to the train, especially if you're "first one up" type folks like me. half hour, you'll be there, don't have to sit and wait around like a schmuck for italian bus drivers... Seems to be lots of LGBT events and things. The Priscilla show was raunchy and deliberately pushing buttons, so be prepared for a lesson in progressive politics mixed with some drag. Decent performances. The circus show was a blast, the dinner that came with it... meh. great trip! I recommend the trip, not necessarily the boat. But seriously, first world problems! Had the time of my life!

Western Med - came for the sites, enjoyed the ship

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by tallred6

tallred6’s Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IA 10010
Meh. Nice bed. Super dark, love it. Layout interesting. Hope you're comfortable pooping in front of each other, because that sliding door ain't much in the way of protection. don't lock the smells in our out either.
Showing signs of wear and tear. not much, but since I'm scrutinizing.
TV was small and old.